Rainworth MW cruise into Notts Senior Cup semi after thrashing Sherwood Colliery

CHESTERFIELD Town round-up.
CHESTERFIELD Town round-up.

Rainworth moved into the semi-finals of the Notts Senior Cup after a 6-0 win over Sherwood Colliery FC.

Although Sherwood only play in the Central Midlands League South, they already had taken the scalp of NECL Division One side AFC Mansfield 2-1 away in the previous round and Rainworth knew they would have to be at their best to advance.

On the night it was Sherwood who applied the early pressure and they were gifted a glorious opportunity in the eighth minute but an over-hit through ball meant the chance was lost.

Sherwood were to continue to edge the opening twenty minutes without ever being able to capitalise.

That changed in the 22nd minute when a mazy run by Connor Smythe ended with the shot being blocked at the expense of a corner. From the corner Liam Theakstone made no mistake with his bullet header finding the top corner for Rainworth’s opener.

Two minutes later and Rainworth increased their lead when Smythe’s throw was laid into Jamie York’s path by Liam Morris. The move was typical of Rainworth at their best and York’s effort found the bottom corner to leave Sherwood with an uphill task.

There was a brief moment in the 25th minute when they had a chance to reduce the arrears when Smythe was adjudged to have fouled Bradley Wells just inside the area.

The opportunity went as quick as it had come when Sam Leigh made an excellent save from Julian Topliss’s penalty.

They were made to rue that miss when Rainworth increased their lead further in the 31st minute. Matt Thompson found Liam Morris and his neat turn was all that was needed to go clear and his finish gave Gavin Saxby no chance.

In the final minutes of the half they should have gone further ahead but Matt Sykes snatched at the chance when through on goal and it went wide.

That miss was soon forgotten when a minute later Morris laid the ball back to Liam Theakstone who stroked the ball effortlessly into the far corner.

At the half-time whistle Sherwood must have wondered what had hit them as Rainworth had given a ruthless display of finishing in the second half of the half.

Rainworth were now rampant and it only took a further five minutes to get their fifth as Theakstone set up York.

Rainworth made substitutions bringing on Lewis Bingham for Smythe and shortly afterwards Declan Brewin for Theakstone.

Two minutes later and Rainworth had their sixth as substitute Brewin’s goal bound shot was deflected past Saxby.

Rainworth made their final substitution as Nathan Clarke replaced York.

Sherwood Colliery almost got a consolation goal but Eden Homer’s effort was turned onto the post and out for a corner by Leigh.

Still Rainworth came forward and just before the final whistle Morris almost added to the total, before Saxby made an excellent save to prevent Brewin.

The tie had looked a potential banana skin but on their current form Rainworth ran out worthy 6-0 winners.

RAINWORTH: Leigh; Hanson; Smythe (Bingham); Dockwray; Plant; Andrews; York (Clarke); Thompson; Morris; Theakstone (Brewin); Sykes.

Referee: Mr Martin Fryer.

Man of the match: Liam Theakstone.

Attendance 79.