Rainworth again culpable in Tadcaster defeat

editorial image

Rainworth MW once again contributed to their second loss in five days against the top sides by the odd goal as they went down 4-3 at Tadcaster Albion in the Toolstation NCEL Premier Division on Saturday.

As on Tuesday evening against Handsworth Parramore, at Tadcaster Rainworth were a goal down in the opening minutes through a defensive error.

In the fourth minute they conceded a cheap free kick, and when it was delivered into the area an unmarked Patrick Miller headed it in for the opening goal.

It was another poor start and the fans must have feared the worst, but they were level in the 10th minute when a fine passing move saw Lewis Chambers’ cross headed in by Lewis Bingham.

This seem to put the home side on the back foot and Rainworth began to show just how good they are when they play the simple ball.

In this period Liam Morris’s pass to Bingham saw his choked shot flash wide.

A minute later it was the turn of Matthew Sykes whose direct run and shot also just went wide.

Rainworth were determined not to let Tadcaster off the hook and when Bingham found space on the right his cross was met by Morris and unluckily for him his goal bound shot was deflected for a corner.

From the corner the ball found Jack Andrews and his well-driven shot was too powerful for the keeper and, although he got hands to it, he was unable to prevent it crossing the line to give them the lead for the first time.

This was the cue for Rainworth to stop playing the simple ball and to start to take the wrong passing options and the result was it allowed Tadcaster back into the game.

Tadcaster pressed for the equaliser and Nathan Burrows did well to parry a goal bound shot n the 26th minute.

Minutes later and a Tadcaster free-kick missed everybody and fortunately went out for a goal kick.

The Rainworth goal continued to live a charmed life and with Rainworth’s help Tadcaster continued to press for an equaliser.

Then in the 44th minute a Rainworth attack broke down and when Tadcaster broke on goal they were lucky when the effort flew over the bar.

Rainworth didn’t learn and when in the final minute of the half they allowed Tadcaster to run at them, a neat through ball saw Josh Barnett rifle it into the far corner for the equaliser.

The scores were level at 2-2 and Rainworth had been their own worst enemy.

The second half started with Rainworth almost conceding in the opening minutes, but fortunately the effort was easily gathered by Burrows.

Then in the 53rd minute Rainworth regained the lead when Connor Smythe’s effort was only parried into the path of Bingham and he made no mistake.

Just when it seemed Rainworth were back in pole position, they shot themselves in the foot once again, when they conceded a lazy free-kick on the edge of the area.

They had led for all of four minutes when Jimmy Beadle’s free-kick hit the back of the net for yet another equaliser.

Then a moment of controversy in the 57th minute when the ball seemed to strike a prostrate Matt Plant and the referee gave a penalty and also booked Plant.

The penalty was duly dispatched by Daniel Clayton to give Tadcaster the lead and four minutes later they were awarded a second when Smythe and the Tadcaster winger collided in the penalty area. Fortunately for Rainworth this one was blasted high over the cross bar and into the stands by Clayton.

This was the signal for Rainworth to bring on new signing Jamie Yorke in place of Andrews in the 68th minute.

Rainworth had a couple of half chances but they lacked the necessary power to threaten the keeper and Tadcaster were grateful to run down time for the victory.

The game reflected just were Rainworth are in their rebuilding process.

When they are good they are very good, but when they are bad they are abysmal and it is costing them in games where they should be picking up points but aren’t.

RAINWORTH MWFC: Burrows, Hanson, Smythe, Andrews (Yorke), Plant, Campion, Chambers, Dockwray, Morris, Bingham, Sykes. Subs not used: Bowring, Pereira, Watts.