Ollerton Town return to winning ways

A SUPERB win for Ripley Town.
A SUPERB win for Ripley Town.

Ollerton put a poor run of results behind them to return to winning ways by defeating Dinnington Town 2-1.

After winning 4-1 against Easington on the opening day of the season, Ollerton had gone on to draw with Harworth as well as losing to Glapwell, Phoenix and Retford, which meant that a win was much needed.

It was a game which saw three penalties awarded. Craig Stanton opened the scoring from the spot for Ollerton before seeing a later effort saved. Josh Shepherd then beat Simon Smith from the spot during the second half to give Dinnington a life-line.

Ollerton were the dominant force during the first half and could have been one up during the first few minutes, Kyle Ludlow firing over twice in quick succession.

They did however open the scoring around the ten minute mark. After being played through, Jamie Charlton cut inside before being tripped by a Dinnington defender. Ollerton captain Craig Stanton stepped up and sent Jack Smith the wrong way to put Ollerton ahead.

Stanton was also involved in Ollerton’s second. Picking up the ball on the edge of the box, he charged to the by-line before playing the ball across the face of goal where Ludlow was waiting to tap in.

After seeing a starting player injured in the warm up, Dinnington then saw their ‘keeper injured mid-way through the second half meaning they had to play the rest of the game with an outfield player in goal.

The stand-in ‘keeper was soon in action as Ollerton were awarded another penalty. After seeing two goals ruled out for offside, Jamie Charlton found the back of the net once again but then frustratingly saw the referee rule the goal out and point to the spot for a previous foul on Ludlow which would end the Ollerton attacker’s game. Stanton once again stepped up but after going the same way as before, saw his effort saved.

Ollerton continued to pile the pressure on Dinnington and after good build up play between Sam Stretton and Stanton, Steff Cobb saw a goal-bound effort blocked.

Kye Pilmore was introduced in the first half for the injured Ludlow and he nearly added to the scoring but after going through one-on-one, his attempted lob went over the bar.

Ollerton should have carried on where they left off after the interval but instead they took their foot off the gas and Dinnington started to grow into the game, Tom Eccleston seeing a shot easily saved by Smith before Nicky Holland fired over.

It wasn’t all Dinnington however and Ollerton also had chances. The best arguably fell to Charlton who had time to try and pick his spot but saw his curling effort go wide of the upright.

Dinnington’s determination paid off as they halved the deficit. Sam Stretton fouled a Dinnington attacker in the area and Josh Shepherd cooly dispatched the spot kick.

Ollerton were nearly gifted another goal which would have sealed the win, as Dinnington’s Kirk Bradshaw saw his attempted clearance clip the outside of the Dinnington goal with the ‘keeper left stranded.

As the game wore on, both sides kept fighting for another goal and had chances to do so. For Ollerton, Jamie Tryner fired wide after being teed up by Charlton before Kye Pilmore saw his close range effort hit the Dinnington ‘keeper who knew little about it.

In the end, neither side could add to their tallies and as the referee blew for full time, Ollerton breathed a sigh of relief as they celebrated that winning feeling once again.