Ollerton fightback to defeat Parkhouse 4-3

editorial image

Ollerton and Parkhouse gave the visitors to ‘The Lane’ an Easter treat as Ollerton fought back from 3-1 down to win the game 4-3 thanks to three goals in a pulsating last quarter of an hour.

The sides had ended the first half with a goal each, but in the second half two early James Gee Pembleton strikes had seemed to give Parkhouse the three points.

However, Lee Easom, Terry Annable and Haydon Zaccaria all scored to seal an impressive victory for the home side.

Both sides were positioned behind the group of teams challenging for the Northern Division title, but though both sides may not have to fight for in the league, the Ollerton players were competing for a place in the team for the upcoming Floodlit Cup final.

However, Dave Winter was faced with 10 absentees though he did welcome Terry Annable back from injury whilst new signing Craig Cantrill was handed his debut.

Ollerton had the first goal scoring chance of the game as Lee Easom beat a defender to a goalkick but failed to get hard enough contact on the ball to send it past Andrew Thornton who saved the effort.

Parkhouse also nearly opened the scoring through James Goodison whose effort was saved well by Shaun Taylor. However, Taylor was left helpless as Parkhouse grabbed the opening goal. A throw in landed in the Ollerton area and as a Parkhouse player fired towards goal, Taylor dived to save it only to see the ball bounce off the legs of a defender and into the path of Jake Tittley who smashed in the rebound.

All the effort that Parkhouse put into scoring the opening goal was then undermined by a mistake from their own player as a loose pass on the edge of the Parkhouse box ran through to Zaccaria who fired into the corner of the net despite a touch from Thornton.

Ollerton then felt strongly aggrieved as it appeared that Thornton handled the ball outside his area whilst charging down Oliver Woodhead yet the referee and his assistant didn’t agree with the protests from the Ollerton bench.

Despite the game being a reasonably even contest, Ollerton found themselves two goals behind early on in the second half. After Parkhouse were awarded a freekick on the edge of the area, Kyle Gee Pembleton hit a brilliant effort past Taylor before stepping up and converting a penalty which was awarded for a foul by Annable.

Even though this was a major setback, there was still enough time on the clock for Ollerton to rescue the game yet it seemed like they were missing a bit of luck in front of goal. Easom weaved his way past two defenders before seeing his shot saved whilst Annable was unfortunate not to come away with a hat-trick after posing a constant threat from set pieces. He smashed a header against the bar from close range before a looping header hit the bar again before bouncing down and hitting the back of the defender on the line without somehow going in.

However Annable was to get his goal from the spot. When challenging for another corner he was brought down and the Ollerton captain sent Thornton the wrong way to set up an exciting end to the game.

This goal lifted Ollerton and they continued to press for the equaliser and as time went on, it looked more and more likely. With their threat from set pieces it wasn’t surprising that it was how Ollerton scored the equaliser. Kyle Clarkson delivered another delightful ball and picked out Woodhead who headed against the bar before Easom rose highest to head home the rebound, past the recovering Thornton.

After showing tremendous spirit to fight back and with time still on the clock, Ollerton believed they could now take the three points from a now demoralised Parkhouse. When the ball was only partly cleared from an Ollerton attack, Sean Fulcher headed the ball back into the area where he found Woodhead who showed great control and composure to find Zaccaria to his right who smashed the ball across Thornton and into the back of the net to spark jubilant celebrations from the Ollerton players, management and fans.