Ollerton beat Retford to extend winning run to six

NINE goals for Belper Town Academy.
NINE goals for Belper Town Academy.

Ollerton recorded their sixth league win in a row after a 2-0 victory against Retford FC in what was a case of “third time lucky”.

The two sides had already met twice ahead of Saturday’s match and Retford had won both, with their win in the Floodlit Cup proving to be Ollerton’s only defeat inside 90 minutes since the start of November. 

With Ollerton having aspirations of promotion, they knew they couldn’t afford another slip up against a solid Retford side and they calmed any fears early doors thanks to a Kyle Clarkson freekick.

New boy Lewis Bingham grabbed his first goal for the club just after the hour mark to double Ollerton’s lead but in truth, the home side could, and should, have scored more. 

Ollerton’s recent good form was exemplified by last week’s 3-1 win over Phoenix and they started on the front foot against Retford and had the lead after ten minutes. When they were awarded a freekick on the edge of the area, many expected Kyle Clarkson to try and find the top left hand corner however he instead showed the kind of ingenuity which has seen him scored 11 goals this season as he whipped the ball across Housley in the Retford goal and into the bottom corner. 

Lewis Bingham has fitted into the Ollerton team very quickly since joining from Rainworth recently and he and Kyle Ludlow nearly linked up brilliantly as Ollerton went in search of a second.

Bingham played the ball into Ludlow who gave the ball back to his attacking partner and from a tight angle, Bingham fired wide of the goal 

It was Bingham who was involved once again later in the half as he hit the woodwork.

Played through down the right, Bingham’s attempted lob had the beating of Housley but unfortunately clipped the outside of the post. 

Ollerton were definitely the better side and came close to adding another towards the end of the first period. 

Kyle Clarkson slipped the ball through to Rob Evans and the Ollerton left back nearly got a rare goal but was denied by a goal line clearance. 

Retford were limited to half chances that came from set plays as they looked to exploit the aerial presence of former Ollerton captain, Terry Annable. 

The second half continued along the same lines as Ollerton had the majority of the clear cut chances with Retford’s main threat coming from set pieces. 

Ollerton did have the ball in the net again around midway through the second period but after Kye Pilmore slotted into an empty net, the referee’s assistant judged that he had kicked the ball out of Housley’s hands, rather than Retford stopper spilling the ball into his path. 

Lewis Bingham continued to be a threat and he came close to getting Ollerton’s second but after being played through, his shot couldn’t find the goal. 

He was then frustrated again after hitting the woodwork for a second time thanks to a moment of magic. From an Ollerton set play, the ball fell kindly for Bingham who produced a stunning overhead kick which thumped against the bar after Housley was left stranded. 

Thankfully Bingham finally got his goal on 63 minutes.

Using his pace to get away from the Retford defence once again, he nudged the ball past the advancing Housley and rolled the ball into the net to double Ollerton’s advantage. 

Kyle Ludlow put in an impressive display and he looked to get himself a deserved goal but was unfortunately fruitless in his search. He was found in space brilliantly but couldn’t hit the target whilst he later saw a goalbound shot blocked by a combination of Bingham and a Retford defender.