More away joy as Teversal brush past Askern Villa

Share this article

Teversal picked up their second away win in seven days with an excellent performance that gave them a deserved 5-1 win at Askern Villa.

The visitors were slow to start though and Askern was gifted a great start when, after only two minutes, Pearson failed to clear which allowed Braithwaite the opportunity to cross to the far post to Holmes.

He mis-hit his first effort, allowing Harcourt the opportunity to clear but the Tevie full back played the ball back to Holmes who made no mistake the second time round.

This Teversal side though took this set back on the chin and started to dominate the game.

On four minutes they thought they had levelled when a patient build up saw Atkins and Dickinson combining to find Pilmore. The striker turned and placed an effort that looked destined for the bottom corner, but Copley made a stunning save down to his right.

It was going to be the neat football that was to unlock the Askern defence when Swales played out of defence with a crisp pass into Pilmore, who held the ball up before picking out Atkins timely run to take the ball in his stride, before firing across Copley and into the bottom corner to make it 1-1 on 12 minutes.

Two minutes later Teversal were in front. This time it was a set piece when Cockerill from out wide on the touchline fired in a perfect delivery that invited Harcourt to head home with Copley left stranded.

Sherlock showed his frustration when a rash challenge on Danny Wilson saw the midfielder receive a yellow card and can thank his lucky stars that the referee didn’t see a retaliation shove on Atkins that could have seen a second yellow.

Teversal were now controlling the game and the stuffing was knocked out of the hosts when, on 24 minutes, the visitors made it 3-1 when Cockerill’s corner received the slightest touch from Matt Fletcher at the near post.

Askern was now struggling to cope with the passing and movement of another impressive Teversal away day display.

The half-time break didn’t change things and even a precautionary substitution for the injured Harcourt failed to give the hosts a way back into the game. In fact all the subs the visitors made showed the quality that Jamie Hudson and his management is assembling at Carnarvon Street, with all of them having a positive impact on the game.

It was no surprise when the fourth goal arrived on 67 minutes when Cockerill over hit a corner.

But Swales worked hard to maintain possession and then laying the ball out to Goodacre who delivered an exquisite crossfield ball to Cockerill, who in turn matched it with a volley across the six-yard box where Swales timed his run to smash the ball home to make it 4-1.

The visitors continued to create opportunities and could have increased their lead even further with Mitchell being sent clear with a well weighted pass from Wood. But the young Midfielder took just a little too long and Copley was quick of his line to block the effort.

Wood again played his part with a neat one two with Dickinson who burst into the 18 yard box to fire a fierce effort that beat Copley but also cleared the ball.

The fifth goal finally arrived when the three Teversal subs combined with Mitchell and Collins combining down the right flank with the latter driving an effort across goal to the far post, where Wood was on hand to fire home to complete the scoring on 81 minutes.

Askern did manage an effort in the dying minutes when Irwin played a ball over the top to release Mundy and the striker lifted his effort over the advancing Jono Wilson but wide of the mark.

Teversal will be hoping to bring this type of result to Carnarvon Street on Saturday when Eccleshill United are the visitors.

ASKERN VILLA: Copley, Deakin, Taylor, Gibbons, Knifton, Sherlock, Braithwaite (Irwin 60), Cotton (Cunningham 75), Collier (Laud 60), Mundy, Holmes.

TEVERSAL: J. Wilson, Harcourt (Mitchell 49), Goodacre, Pearson, Swales, Fletcher, Cockerill (Collins 67), Dickinson, Pilmore, Atkins, D. Wilson (Wood 53). Subs not used: Tobin, Hudson.

REFEREE: Peter Sporne of South Yorkshire.