Glapwell ambitions rocked by relegated Shepshed Dynamo

NMAC11-0855-3''Glapwell V Shepshed Dynamos
NMAC11-0855-3''Glapwell V Shepshed Dynamos

Glapwell’s play-off hopes were dealt a massive blow as they fell to a disappointing 2-1 home defeat against second-bottom Shepshed Dynamo.

With Rainworth winning at Grantham it means that Shepshed are relegated despite this victory.

It can be said, though, that Glapwell deserved absolutely nothing from this game as they put in a really disjointed performance and were their own worst enemies at times.

Coming into the game Glapwell had confidence after the 2-0 win at Leek Town three days previous and Shepshed were still awaiting their first away league win of the season after just six draws in 19 games.

Glapwell took the lead when a clearance was brilliantly flicked on by Michael Harcourt to Ian Holmes, who smashed a first time shot into the net via the near post from just inside the box.

But on the stroke of half-time things began to go wrong for Glapwell.

The usually reliable Steve Kennedy made a rare mistake as his attempted back-pass was badly underhit and Aiden Brady picked up the loose ball and, as he went round Richmond, he was brought down and the referee had little option but to send Richmond off.

Adam Walker had to be sacrificed as sub keeper James Lindley came on. But Lindley couldn’t make himself an instant hero as Jay-Lee Hodgson slotted the ball into the corner from the spot.

Glapwell started the second half with much more purpose and Brown should have done better as he fired over from six yards after being played in by Holmes.

But the visitors could have taken the lead as Hodgson’s cross was parried by Lindley into the path of Brady who fired well wide.

Glapwell should have had a penalty of their own as Matt Telling was hacked down in the area with the referee choosing to wave away appeals.

And frustratingly just three minutes later the visitors took the lead. Dan Starbuck did well to get down the right wing, beating a Glapwell challenge, and he crossed for the unmarked Elliott Atkin to head home from 12 yards. Glapwell’s heads visibly dropped after this.

A big talking point was a challenge by Dynamo’s Michael Hewitt on Aaron Shelley that left Shelley with a nasty looking stud-mark on his ankle and he was stretchered off and taken to hospital for stitches. But the referee chose to take no action against Hewitt.

Glapwell finally came to life in the dying minutes but could not find an equaliser.

Glapwell: Richmond, Walker (Lindley 45), Magee, Varley, Kennedy, Timons (Garnett 80), Telling, Shelley (Commons 75), Holmes, Brown, Harcourt. Subs not used : O’Hare.

Shepshed: Saxby, S Carter, J Carter, Norwood, Screaton, Hanson, Starbuck (Shannon 85), Hewitt, Hodgson (Brewer 85), Leggitt (Atkin 59), Brady. Subs not used : Wilson.

Referee: Keith Lawson of Scunthorpe.

Attendance: 100.