Foresters open up gap

FC Sutton Foresters opened up a six point lead at the top of the Midland Amateur Alliance Premier Division following their 4-1 defeat of Beeston AFC, who were 3-0 adrift at half-time with Luke Heselton claiming their consolation goal.

Goals from Tommaso Faccio and Matt Lake earned Trent Vineyard a surprise 2-1 victory at the expense of fifth placed Radcliffe Olympic III and at the same time enabled the victors to climb out of the relegation zone.

Goals from Steve Lambert and Mike Evans failed to prevent a best of five goals defeat at the hands of Bassingfield for Wollaton III, who are still looking for a first victory.

In Division One an 87th minute own goal enabled Ashfield FC to claim all three points against Magdala Amateurs A, who now find themselves in the relegation zone.

At the other end of the division both top teams earned solid victories.

Jamie Simons netted leaders Ravenshead an eighth minute opener before doubles from Adam Martin and Tyler Lambert completed a 5-2 victory at the expense of Sutton Travellers.

Meanwhile, second placed Old Elizabethans II netted four goals without reply from Steelers.

A Martin Ward double and goals from Adam Murphy and Paul Randle for runaway Division Two leaders Watnall Athletic condemned Nottinghamshire III to a 4-0 defeat.

Southwell St Mary’s retain second place thanks to their 3-1 victory over MAFC with Adam Allsopp, Joe Ness and Will Stocks sharing out their goals.

Derbyshire Amateurs leapfrogged Sherwood Colliery A into third place, thanks to their best of five goals victory over Sunnydale.

Meanwhile Alvaston United climbed two places to fifth when a Carlos Reid hat-trick, a Nathan Cossey double and goals from Neil Ainsley and Tommy Rutter went unanswered by Ashfield II in their 7-0 defeat.

The Notts FA Intermediate Cup quarter-final tie which pitted Old Elizabethans against Bestwood MWSC saw OEs build up a 3-0 lead by half-time after Bestwood had spurned early chances of opening the scoring. Andy Boulton, with a double, and a Callum Wilkinson strike was followed by a goalless second half.

The solitary goal which Bridon AFC managed to score finished in the wrong net in a 4-0 defeat by Ashfield Athletic in their Notts FA Minor Cup semi-final tie.

l Ashland Rovers returned to Notts Senior League action in style with a 4-1 win at fourth-placed Kimberley MW Reserves.

They got off to a flying start when Jack Tucker was brought down in the box on five minutes and picked himself up to dispatch the resultant penalty.

They continued to dominate the first half but had to wait until the 38th minute to double their lead. The keeper made a save from Mills, but the rebound went straight to Tucker who squared the ball for Kye Pilmore to tap in from close range.

The second half saw Kimberley change to 4-3-3 in an attempt to get something from the game and with their first attack, they pulled a goal back when keeper Steve Boot seemed to lose the ball in the low sun.

Rovers, however, bounced straight back and a good move involving Tatterson and Mills saw the latter cross from the right and an unmarked Tucker headed his second.

Boot redeemed himself with a couple of good saves to maintain Rovers’ advantage before substitute Guest sealed the win with a fine solo goal a minute from time.