FOOTBALL: Ollerton and Thorebsy play out no score draw

editorial image

Ollerton and Thoresby played out a goalless draw at The Lane in what was Ollerton’s last home game of the season.

Dave Winter’s men went into the game on the back of 12 goals in two games, whilst Lee Tryner’s men had just beaten Welbeck 8-0. Despite the high scoring promise of the game, the two teams cancelled each other out and even after Ollerton saw Sean Fulcher dismissed for two bookable offences nobody could find the opening and decisive goal.

Ollerton’s top goal scorer Hayden Zaccaria was forced off early on due to an injury but before this he nearly set up a goal for his team. He broke on the right before delivering a ball across the box where Lee Easom was at the far post waiting to tap the ball home, however the ball was just too far away for the former Glapwell striker.

Easom then tried a speculative volley but failed to test Simon Smith who watched the ball soar over his goal.

Ricky Shortt started the chances for Thoresby as he broke on the left wing before forcing a good save of Shaun Taylor from a tight angle before former Ollerton striker Gavin King fired two shots wide from the edge of the area and was then tackled by Taylor as he chased down a through ball on the right wing.

Just as he had done in the first half, Lee Easom had the first chance of the second period as he appeared to be through on goal but, under pressure from the Thoresby defence, he failed to get the shot on target.

Steve Owens was a constant threat to Ollerton on the right wing and he nearly opened the scoring as his powerful drive from the edge of the area was tipped wide in spectacular fashion by Taylor. From the resulting corner, Ollerton nearly fell behind as a front post flick hit the bar.

This was arguably the best chance of the game though King did take the ball around Taylor later on in the game but when he appeared to be firing into an empty net, his shot was blocked by Ben Bowring who impressed for Ollerton at centre half.

Easom once again looked to grab the winner in the local derby but in a similar position to Shortt’s effort for Thoresby in the first half, his shot was match by Smith in the Thoresby goal.

Sean Fulcher was then given his marching orders by the referee as he received his second yellow card of the game. His first seemed dubious as he was booked for handball despite only being a yard or so away from the defender when the ball was struck and he was punished even further for this as a late tackle saw him booked once again.

Despite the man advantage, Thoresby failed to find a winner as Taylor tipped Jimmy Adcock’s free kick over the bar and Gavin King failed to convert his free header to leave both sides settling with a point which on reflection, was probably a fair result which keeps Thoresby challenging for the title and Ollerton still in good form as they head into the Floodlit Cup final and next season.