Five-goal spankings continue Teversal’s alarming end-of-season slide

ACTION from Teversal's midweek defeat at Grimsby Borough.
ACTION from Teversal's midweek defeat at Grimsby Borough.

The alarming finale to the season by fast-fading Teversal continued with a couple of five-goal defeats inside a week in the First Division of the Toolstation Northern Counties East League.

On Saturday, Teversal crashed 5-2 to mid-tablers Yorkshire Amateurs, which followed a 5-3 spanking in midweek at the hands of struggling Grimsby Borough.

They have now lost six on the spin and gone eight games without victory in a headlong slide to 14th in the 21-team table. The end of the season, which comes with their last game at Dronfield Town on Saturday, cannot come soon enough.

The trip to Grimsby began well enough with a goal from Jason Dawson giving the Tevie Boys a tenth-minute lead. But they turned round at half-time 3-2 down after an amazing burst of four goals in ten minutes from the half-hour mark. First, Jason Flint equalised for the home side before Louis Grant put them in front. Then, Jason Gregory made it 2-2 for the visitors before Lee Briggs struck again for Grimsby.

The hosts extended their advantage through Jack Debnam on 65 minutes and with a Flint penalty on 80 before Lewis Weaver netted a consolation in the dying seconds.

It was a similar story when Teversal entertained an average-looking Yorkshire Amateurs outfit for their final home game of the campaign. Again they controlled the early exchanges and were rewarded with a fifth-minute lead as Dawson delivered a through ball and midfielder Gary Atkins calmly slipped the ball past advancing ‘keeper Ben Hunter into an empty net.

However, the home side weren’t given chance to build on their goal because, just a minute later, a corner saw Adam Shaw ghost into the area unmarked to fire home an unstoppable effort from eight yards.

The end-to-end entertainment continued with Atkins going close to doubling his account with a header that just cleared the bar, from James McCann’s cross to the far post, and then Amateurs almost snatching the lead themselves when striker Eder Ruiz broke clear to round ‘keeper Dale Sheppard, only for Luke Fisher to race back and clear off the line.

The Leeds-based side did find the target five minutes from the interval when Harrison Blakey was allowed time and space to finish with aplomb as Sheppard came out. But arguably the game’s defining moment came seven minutes after the break when Teversal were denied what looked like a stonewall penalty as Craig Newton’s through ball sent Weaver clear. A desperate challenge from behind by defender Chris Hitchins took some of the ball but all of the home striker, only for referee Paul Matthewson to award a goalkick.

Salt was rubbed firmly into Teversal wounds just six minutes later when Amateurs extended their lead to 3-1. Fernando Moke darted down the left flank before producing an excellent cross from the byline that invited Daniel Sherriff to head home powerfully.

As things went from bad to worse for the hosts, Moke repeated the dose on 62, crossing for Matthew Thompson to unbleash a quality strike, and the deficit rose to 5-1 on 81 when Sherriff held the ball up and picked out Ruiz, who drove home low.

Not even a consolation goal in injury-time, when substitute Danny Barke headed home a rebound off the bar, could stir an ounce of delight out of the well beaten Tevie Boys.

TEVERSAL LINE-UP -- Sheppard/ Hauton, Moody, Kitchen, Fisher, Atkins, Newton (Cox 72), Dickinson (Short M. 65), Weaver, Dawson (Barke 75). SUBS NOT USED: Burton, Vincent.