Comeback hits Glapwell hopes

Newcastle Town produced a stirring second half comeback as they kept their title hopes alive and put a dent in Glapwell’s hunt for a play-off place with a 3-1 victory at Hall Corner.

It was a tale of two halves really with Glapwell more than holding their own in the first half but capitulating in the second, as the visitors turned the game on its head with two goals in less than a minute just after the break.

This was always going to be a crucial game with just five points separating the teams before kick-off and Newcastle still in with an outside chance of claiming the league title.

Glapwell pressed and got their reward on the half-hour mark. Damian Magee’s free-kick should have been cleared, but Newcastle defender Michael Douglas headed the ball straight into the path of Ian Brown who couldn’t miss as he headed into an empty net from six yards for his 15th goal of the season.

It was exactly what the game needed as it livened up a bit, and Newcastle could have levelled before the break but visiting skipper Paul Donnelly could only fire straight at Andy Richmond from the edge of the area.

There was a sense of purpose about the visitors after the break and Richmond needed to be at his best to deny them as he brilliantly tipped Matthew Bell’s free-kick round the post.

But just three minutes later they were level after being awarded a contentious penalty.

The impressive Jordan Johnson capitalised on a Glapwell mistake and took the ball into the area where he was sandwiched between Aaron Shelley and Damian Magee. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot with Johnson, himself, stepping up and sending Richmond the wrong way with a coolly taken spot-kick.

The visitors were now really lively and they won the ball back straight away and took the lead less than a minute later to complete a stunning turnaround.

A ball up to Budrys was knocked down and there appeared to be little danger, But Glapwell didn’t pick up Daniel Skelton who ghosted in and fired a low effort into the corner from the edge of the area.

Glapwell heads had visibly dropped and they weren’t helping themselves by giving the ball away and not controlling the ball.

Newcastle pressed Glapwell and they reaped the reward as they killed the game off on 67 minutes.

The ball came to Sheldon from the right wing but the danger looked to have been cleared when Steve Kennedy got a tackle in on him but the ball fell to Skelton who fired home from 12 yards completely unmarked.

Glapwell: Richmond, Harcourt, Magee, Shelley, Kennedy, Timons, Telling, Walker (Commons 83), Holmes (Higginson 69), Brown, Benjamin. Subs not used : O’Hare, Gee.

Newcastle Town: Read, Espley, Willis, Donnelly, Dicker, Douglas, Johnson (Richards 85), Skelton, Budrys (Nagington 68), Sheldon (James 83), Bell. Subs not used : Morton, Cliffe.

Referee: Rob Atkin of Scunthorpe.

Attendance: 66.

Glapwell Man of the Match: Aaron Shelley.