CML round-up: Bilsthorpe win derby

Action from Bilsthorpe's match against Glapwell.
Action from Bilsthorpe's match against Glapwell.

Glapwell were left to rue an abject first half showing as they fell to a 2-0 defeat at Bilsthorpe in their Central Midlands League Black Dragon Badges North Division derby.

The home side had the first chance of the game when Liam Black burst away from Neil Grayson but saw his low shot smothered by Ryan Hopkins.

From Hopkins’ resulting kick upfield, Glapwell really should have taken the lead as it split the defence and let Lee Naughton in, but he could only volley wide of the post with only the keeper to beat.

The home side went in front on 13 minutes, though, when a free kick from the right was headed back to the unmarked Liam Black at the back post to a similarly unmarked Gavin King in the middle.

That was a really cheap goal to concede, but Glapwell went close when Adam Kimberley’s free kick from 25 yards was just past the far post.

However, Bilsthorpe then went two goals up when a corner from the left was headed home by the unmarked Mark Carter.

That was another poor goal for Glapwell to give away, but they could have got back in it when Ash Grayson headed straight at home keeper Liam Kerry from eight yards out.

Adam Kimberley’s free kick from the left then drifted all the way in only for the referee to disallow the goal for an alleged foul, despite no appeals.

But Glapwell were deservedly behind on the first half showing and although they improved after the break they never really did enough to get themselves back in it.

The closest they went saw Sam Rhodes drag an effort wide of the post as did Neil Grayson from a tight angle while the closest the home side went to extending the lead was when Sam Rhodes’ back header had to be tipped round the post by Ryan Hopkins.

It may only be a brief reign, but Harworth Colliery sit proudly on top of the division after a five goal defeat of Easington United at Scrooby Road.

With Westella frozen off at Sherwood and Clay Cross in the cup, Harworth took full advantage with goals from Tommy Durrant and Billy Ball before the break and Matty Bradley with two and Brett Garrett in the second half.

Thoresby Colliery’s match at Welbeck Welfare went strictly with the form book, the final score of 6-0 putting the visitors joint second in the table.

There were two goals each here for Lewis Bingham and Sam West, with Sam Stretton and Jamie Tryner both adding one.

It was a good day all round for Doncaster area sides, with Bentley Colliery, Brodsworth Welfare and Askern all taking the points.

Bentley, 4-0 winners over Dinnington Town, picked up their first win in six games.

Matt Brown set the ball rolling with two from the penalty spot, Chris Scott and Dan Read completing the scoring.

Brodsworth put an eight match winless streak behind them by beating Thorne Colliery 2-1.

James Irwin and Jack Varley were the home side’s matchwinners with Kyle Palmer getting the Thorne reply.

Askern’s 5-2 defeat of Phoenix came courtesy of goals from Shaun Mundy (2), Gary Mundy, Ashley Evans and Josh Illman, Phoenix responding through Steve McDonnell and Rob Gorman.

Newark Town paid the price for missed first half chances as they lost a typically well-contested local derby 2-1 at Ollerton Town.

Luke Hutchinson gave Newark the lead, Ollerton equalising with a Chris Hewitt penalty just before half-time.

Kye Pilmore clinched it for Ollerton with a well taken goal midway through the second half.

A reduced set of fixtures in the Black Dragon South Division saw Bulwell climb to second after the latest in the series of derby matches saw them beat Hucknall at Watnall Road.

The only goal of the game came from the Bulls’ Jay Knight after half an hour’s play.

There was no joy for the bottom three in the other matches.

Pinxton moved to third as they inflicted defeat number 19 on Holbrook St Michaels.

Daniel Henshaw’s goal was all that separated the sides at half time, but Pinxton turned the screw in the second period, Luke Walker (2), Tom Ellis, Danny O’Donnell and Chris Shelton all finding the net.

Belper United proved too strong for Eastwood Community at Christchurch Meadow, the final score here 5-1.

After a scoreless first half hour, Shaun Roulston and Alfie Holland’s goals put Belper in control by the interval, Ash Dhindsa, Jordan Ball and Sam Vickers contributing one apiece after the break before Nick Hewer scored a consolation for Eastwood.

Blidworth Welfare also notched up five at Southwell City, Liam Theakstone’s two being added to by Eden Homer, Sam Dockwray and Blake Owen.

The outstanding tie in the second round of the League Challenge Cup sponsored by Abacus Lighting was finally settled on Saturday in favour of Harrowby Saints who won on penalties at Real United.

The sides finished level at 1-1 after extra time, Chris Papps scoring for Real and Jack Millward for Harrowby, the Saints going through 3-1 on penalties to face Harworth Colliery in round three.

There were also two third round ties, with Linby Colliery surrendering a half-time lead at Church Lane to do down 3-1 to Clay Cross Town.

A Ritchie Matthews own goal gave Linby a first half advantage, but he atoned for this by scoring the Millers’ equaliser with Jake Tittley and Ant Lynam settling the tie in favour of the Derbyshire side.

The Mickleover derby went all the way, the Royals clinching their quarter-final place in extra time to see of the challenge from Mickleover RBL 2-1.

Matt Savage, for Royals, and Danny Briscoe, for the Legion, scored in normal time, Louis Menson getting the all-important winner.