Clipstone punish wasteful Shirebrook in derby win

Clipstone FC (black/white) v Shirebrook Town
Clipstone FC (black/white) v Shirebrook Town

Clipstone claimed local derby bragging rights with two second half goals as visitors Shirebrook Town were punished for wasteful first half finishing in this NCEL Division One showdown.

Shirebrook only had themselves to blame as Aaron Moxam Jason Bradley and Danny Booth all missed gilt-edged chances in the first 45 minutes.

Clipstone struggled to get going and the heroics of central defender Rob Austin and great goalkeeping from Ed Eley kept the Shirebrook attack at bay.

It wasn’t until the 44th minute when Clipstone produced their best real effort of the half.

Kieran Watson was fouled wide on the left 30 yards out and just two yards in from the touchline. Ian Hillier whipped in a great ball and Rob Austin got there first with a firm header which kept rising and was well over the bar.

Just two minutes later Watson was again felled, this time in a more central position this time and 22 yards out. Again Hillier stepped up to take the free kick and whipped it over the wall, but couldn’t get enough power into it and Sam Andrew only had to check his footwork to gratefully receive the ball in his arms.

To be fair a big difference in the two halves was the wind, which was extremely blustery in the first half in Shirebrook’s favour.

Clipstone looked a lot more confident in the second half and started making their passes reach their correct destination, instead of going straight to a red shirt, as had happened in the first half, and with each passing minute it was obvious Clipstone were finally getting into their groove.

On 56 minutes both sides made their first substitution. Nathan Millington replaced Robert Camm for Clipstone and Tom Mullen took over from George Zeurnar.

This is when Clipstone caught Shirebrook falling asleep.

A throw in was taken by Rob Paling to one of the midfielders, who threaded through a ball for Adam Wisdom to run onto and calmly slot the ball home beyond Sam Andrew.

Clipstone kept their confidence growing and had the better of the possession while Shirebrook were clearly knocked back by the conceding of the goal.

On 61 minutes it was double delight for Clipstone.

Chasing a through ball, Kieran Watson was one on one with Andrew in the Shirebrook goal. Watson got to the ball first and knocked it past the keeper, leaving Andrew with no option but to bring down the Clipstone attacker.

Not only was the penalty kick awarded but, after a quick consultation with his assistant on the left flank the referee showed a straight red card for the keeper.

Steve Wankiewicz donned the keeper’s gloves and his first job was to pick the ball out of the net as Rob Paling smashed home the spot kick.

With a man advantage and a two-goal lead, Brett Marshall made his second change of the afternoon as Gary Armstrong replaced opening goal scorer Adam Wisdom on 72 minutes.

Shirebrook did try to get back into the game by attempting to hit Clipstone on the break, but nothing would go their way with Bradley and Moxam looking tired towards the end.

CLIPSTONE: Eley, Paling, Leggitt, Baugh, Austin, Camm (Millington 56), Hillier, Carty,Wisdom (Armstrong 72), Watson, Jackson. Subs not used: Weaver, Allan.

SHIREBROOK TOWN: Andrew, Simpson, Hansan, Hall, Henshaw, Wankiewicz, Zeurnar (Mullen 56), Getliff, Moxam, Bradley, Booth (Claridge). Subs not used Rowley, Thompson, Bacon.


MAN OF THE MATCH: Rob Austin (Clipstone).