Clipstone extend lead at top of Black Dragon North after draw with Thoresby Colliery

Thoresby V Clipstone Football Action
Thoresby V Clipstone Football Action

TITLE-CHASING Clipstone extended their lead at the top of the Black Dragon North Division after a goalless draw with neighbours Thoresby Colliery.

The result leaves Thoresby still in touching distance, with seven games in hand on the leaders and 16 points to pull back.

Nearest challengers Dronfield Town sat the day out allowing second-placed Westella and Willerby to take the points at bottom of the table Welbeck Welfare.

But the 4-3 win was not what they expected and the result was perhaps more of a boost for the home team, who in their previous 19 games had only scored eight goals.

Ollerton kept up their recent good form with a 1-0 win over fourth-placed Kinsley Boys.

Improving Ollerton have now won seven of their last eight.

The goal came from the penalty spot after Kyle Clarkson had missed an earlier penalty for Ollerton. Despite being unable to break down Kinsley in open play, Ollerton deserved the win after restricting Kinsley to only two meaningful chances whilst having several chances themselves.

This was the third time these sides had met this season with Ollerton losing 4-0 in the league, before being beaten 4-2 in the League.

Ollerton had a continued threat from set pieces as Terry Annable had several headed opportunities, whilst Sean Fulcher’s acrobatic volley was cleared off the line.

Ben Bowring also looked to open the scoring. He firstly had a shot from the edge of the area blocked by a defender before seeing a shot from a similar position saved by Ian McHarg in the Kinsley goal.

Despite Ollerton’s dominance, Kinsley could have easily taken the lead into half-time, but Josh Stacy’s effort was saved well by the legs of Ollerton ‘keeper Shaun Taylor.

Kinsley broke early in the second half and came close to opening the scoring. Andrew Davies volleyed towards goal, but saw his effort saved well by Taylor.

Ollerton were then presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead. A cross in found Zaccaria at the far post and he was judged to be fouled by the referee who pointed to the spot.

Kyle Clarkson stepped up to take the penalty but fired over much to the relief of the Kinsley players.

However, their relief then turned to despair moments later as Ollerton were awarded another penalty. This time Lee Wilson stepped up and hit the penalty low and hard into the back of the net to seal victory.

A dismal second-half performance saw 10-man Glapwell let slip a 2-0 half-time lead as they fell to a 4-2 defeat at FC 05 Bilsthorpe.

There was a disturbing pattern to the previous meeting between the sides when Glapwell also let go of a two-goal cushion as they slipped to a 3-2 defeat at Hall Corner in October.

But things had looked so rosy for Glapwell, who had the better of the opening stages and they went close through Michael Smy and Kye Martey.

Bilsthorpe had a couple of half chances, but Glapwell deservedly took the lead when Martey finished well across the ‘keeper.

Things then got even better for them on the stroke of half-time as Richard Preston held off a defender before finishing past the ‘keeper for his first goal of the season.

From that previous meeting, Glapwell would have been foolish to think the game was over, but the game would have been wrapped up had they managed to get the third goal when Ben Carless fired at the ‘keeper Liam Black.

But with just under 20 minutes remaining the home side would have started a few alarm bells ringing for Glapwell as they halved the deficit through Wayne Savage.

And they weren’t finished there as just three minutes later they, and Savage, struck again.

Poor Glapwell defending allowed Matt Day to pull the ball back to Savage, who had a simple finish from a yard out.

The momentum had now firmly moved over to Bilsthorpe, but Glapwell had chances to re-take the lead. But Martey fired at the keeper and Alex Marsh drove a free-kick over the bar.

With 10 minutes remaining, though, the home side completed a remarkable turnaround as Tom Smith drilled home a free-kick from the edge of the area.

Worse was to follow for Glapwell as they were reduced to 10 men when the referee sent off Tom Robley for foul and abusive language.

As Glapwell went in search of an equaliser the home side wrapped up the points in unbelievable fashion as Tom Smith’s long clearance from the halfway line caught out Jamie Davies as the wind assisted effort nestled into the corner.