Classy Clipstone brush Selby aside


A classy Clipstone brushed aside tough-tackling visitors Selby Town 2-0 in the NCEL Division One on Saturday.

Clipstone set out their stall from the opening minute. Brandan Shaw, with a throw in on the left side just inside the Selby half, found the head of Adam Wisdom, who flicked on for the onrushing Kieran Watson.

He forced his way past the last defender and got his shot away, which beat the Selby keeper Lee Kelsey, but also beat the far post and rolled out for a goal kick.

One of Selby’s few chances came on six minutes when Steve Lyon blasted over from 10 yards out.

The ball was mostly in Clipstone’s possession throughout the first half with Selby trying to hit on the counter attack.

With Rob Austin Jobe Shaw, Shaw and Gary Armstrong all in top form, keeper Ed Eley had very little to do.

On 21 minutes Clipstone could again have opened the scoring with a calm team build-up involving Haslam, Watson, and B. Shaw, the end ball falling to Rob Paling, whose fizzing shot sailed inches over the bar.

Just a few minutes later Clipstone won a corner on the right side, taken by Edwards to the far post where Haslam was left unmarked, his powerful header just missing the angle.

The rest of the action of the first half was played in midfield with no further threats at goal.

Clipstone came out for the second half with the same amount of gusto as the first.

On 47 minutes Carl Haslam went on one of his runs at full pace and he was cynically brought down by Selby’s Chris Glarvey 19 yards out, Glarvey receiving the first yellow card of the game.

Paling reluctantly left the free kick for Edwards to take, which was driven low into the wall and the danger cleared.

Edwards nearly made up for that just a minute later with a spinning half volley which swerved past the keeper, only to hit the outside of the post.

But on 52 minutes the deadlock was broken though. Clipstone were awarded a free kick inside the centre circle, taken long by Rob Austin and flicked on by Shaw who found Wisdom in space eight yards out who calmly slotted past the keeper.

Ten minutes later it was Watson’s turn to run at the Selby defenders. He burst into the penalty area and was cynically brought down by Kelsey in the Selby goal.

He must have felt very fortunate to see only a yellow card, as he denied a clear goalscoring opportunity.

The penalty was taken by regular spot taker Rob Paling, Kelsey initially making up for his tackle by saving well only for Matt Austin to react the quickest and head the ball into an open net for a fully deserved 2-0 lead.

Wisdom was rewarded for his efforts on his home debut with a rest as he was replaced by Pete Stubley on 68 minutes.

Within seconds Stubley was in the thick of the action, laying the ball off for Watson, who found Haslam on the left touch line.

In turn he fed Stubley in the corner, who turned his marker inside the penalty area using superb close control and just losing control of the ball at the last minute when seconds earlier he could have gone down under the challenge of two Selby defenders for a penalty shout.

On 89 minutes Clipstone goalscorer Austin went down under a innocuous challenge on the edge of his own area.

He was carried off with suspected knee ligament damage, being replaced by Liam Pride.

CLIPSTONE: Ed Eley, Gary Armstrong, Brandan Shaw, Rob Austin, Jobe Shaw, Matt Austin (Liam Pride), Rob Paling, Jason Edwards, Adam Wisdom (Pete Stubley), Kieran Watson, Carl Haslam. Subs not used: Steve Carty, Ian Hillier.