Battling Bridge sunk by star turn Andy

Captain Andy Jones gave a man of the match performance with two goals either side of half time to help Shirebrook to their third successive victory in the league.

Sam Holmes got the all-important winner two minutes from time with a low drive at the far post after the hard working Julian Topliss had seen his effort parried by keeper Jared Oxley.

The first 10 minutes belonged to Shirebrook with the best chance falling to Julian Topliss who’s low drive flashed wide of the right hand post.

The game then fell into a midfield battle which was broken in the 22 minute when Danny Naylor forced a save from Jared Oxley from a 20 yard drive.

Michael Lyall fired wide and Naylor had another effort tipped over the bar by Oxley as Shirebrook pressed down the slope.

From the resulting corner on the half hour mark the ball fell eventually to Sam Holmes who fired in a low drive that was blocked by a defender.

The ball fell invitingly to Jones who made no mistake from four yards.

Worsbrough got back on level terms on 43 minutes, a 20 yard free kick clinically dispatched by McFadyen low into the bottom left corner of the net.

Youngster Grant Hackett suffered an elbow to the nose and was forced off the pitch for treatment.

A sign of his pedigree was he re-entered the fray and continued his excellent display.

Julian Topliss saw his drive turned around the post by Oxley.

The visitors again took advantage of the corner kick this time Jones getting on the end of Lewis Jackson’s inswinging kick to head home at the far post on 61 minutes.

Two minutes later Worsbrough had clawed their way back into the game, Adam Podmore taking advantage of a lapse of concentration to get behind the Shirebrook defence and fire the equaliser in off the post.

Ben Bowring had his effort saved and Lyall saw his 30 yard free kick cannon back off the bar as Shirebrook pushed for the winner.

It came after another typical surging run from Topliss, his drive was only parried by Oxley and Holmes was ideally placed to stroke home the loose ball from eight yards.

Lyall had a further chance to extend the lead before the end, sweeping past two defenders his shot was easily covered by Oxley.

Shirebrook Town: White, Thomas, Jackson L, Ludlow, Hackett, McGurk (Bowring 60), Jones, Holmes, Topliss, Lyall (Jackson G 84), Naylor, Subs not used: Davey, Stubley, Rodger.

Worsbrough Bridge: Oxley, Barker (Hunter 75), Burkinshaw (Marsh 67), Tinsley, Westney, McFadyen, Scully, Hirst, Podmore, Ward, Roberts. Sub not used: Hilton.

Referee: Mr Mark Swift of Lincolnshire.

Attendance: 42.

Shirebrook Man of the Match: Andy Jones.