Alfreton Town woes continue after Solihull Moors defeat

editorial image

For the fourth game running Alfreton Town failed to hold on after taking the lead as they were beaten 2-1 by Solihull Moors on Saturday.

The defeat, which has stretched the Reds’ winless run to 15 games, also brought an end to a run of four successive draws, with injuries to Sam Smith and Andi Thanoj during the game adding further worry for manager Nicky Law.

Smith limped out of the contest after just 11 minutes, having taken a rap on his ankle in the opening seconds, Thanoj leaving the field with a knee injury 12 minutes after the break.

A workmanlike performance in the first half had seen Alfreton deservedly take a 44th minute lead through Jamie Jackson from their one and only corner during the 90 minutes, a defensive header from Thanoj’s delivery falling for Jackson to stab past keeper Danny Lewis from eight yards.

Solihull took just 50 seconds after the break to draw level, Connor Franklin’s long throw not dealt with, leaving Daryl Knoghts to rifle home at the back post.

Worse was to follow on 59 minutes when Michael Nottingham was allowed to advance before his deflected shot beat Reds’ keeper Matt Duke low to his right.

Duke had needed to save from Jack Byrne on 20 minutes and Knights ten minutes later, but with a couple of stinging drives by Ryan Wilson which were held by home keeper Danny Lewis and efforts from Jackson and John Johnston it would have come as little surprise that an Alfreton goal was forthcoming.

However their second half performance was well below par, Thanoj having a shot saved shortly before being replaced, Johnston firing over in the 64th minute and a wild shy by Wilson 11 minutes from time causing more concern to an incoming pilot at the adjacent Birmingham Airport than it did for the Solihull defence.

ALFRETON: Duke; Galinski, Allan, Jordan, Leesley, Moyo, Thanoj (Heaton 57), Wilson, Jones, Johnston (lronside 76), Smith (Jackson 11).

Subs not used: Berry, Paling.

Attendance: 425.