AFC Mansfield: Bulls continue charge with thumping of Thoresby Colliery Welfare

AFC Mansfield completed their first double of the season as they overpowered nine-man Thoresby Colliery Welfare side 6-0 in the The Windsor Food Services Central Midlands League North Division at Edwinstowe.

A brace from Mark Carter and goals from Lee Easom, Joe Naylor, Callum Green and Dean Rick ensured the Bulls were never troubled by their youthful near-neighbours and maintained their strong start to the season.

It was Easom who set the ball rolling in the eighth minute, turning neatly in the box to fire past Glenn McPherson from 15 yards.

Two minutes later, the same player turned provider, breaking down the left flank and delivering a perfect cross to the head of Callum Green.

McPherson did well to parry the resulting header, but Naylor was on hand to finish from three yards.

The Bulls’ continued to knock on the door and Phil Buxton and Danny McLane both went close, while Easom then saw his effort superbly saved by McPherson on 25 minutes.

A rash two-footed challenge on McLane from Callum Tebbett earned the youngster the first of two yellow cards on 15 minutes and a second late challenge on the same player saw the home side a man down with 15 minutes of the first half still to play.

AFC made it 3-0 on 35 minutes when Danny Tighe found Mark Carter with a sublime 40-yard ball. Carter controlled the ball with one touch, sent his marker the wrong way and fired past McPherson from 12 yards.

As the game moved into the second period, Naylor’s cross on 55 minutes was not dealt with by the Thoresby defence, allowing midfielder Carter to take his time in firing past the wrong footed keeper from 10 yards to

make it 4-0.

A combination of good keeping, the post and wayward shooting kept the score down, but Thoresby could do nothing about Rick’s powerful run into the box with six minutes left.

Just as the AFC player was about to shoot James Gunn clipped his legs from behind and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. Worse was to come for Gunn as he was judged to be the last man and received a red card.

Rick duly sent the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot to add a fifth goal and, a minute later, he hit the post with McPherson beaten.

Green thought he had scored on 88 minutes only to see his volley superbly tipped over by the overworked McPherson.

Rick, meanwhile, saw another shot turned around the post before Green completed the scoring with a low drive from the edge of the box.

AFC Mansfield now take a break from league action for the next two weeks. Next Saturday they compete in the Notts Senior Cup for the first time

against Hucknall Rolls Leisure and a week later travel to Northampton Sileby Rangers in the first round of the FA Vase.

Thoresby CW: McPherson, Gunn, Dyson (Gillespie 67), Rich (Walker 67), Garnham, Brown, Tebbett, Scothern, Brentnall, Buchanan (c), Selby (Severn 68). Subs not used: Wragg, Thorndyke

AFC Mansfield: Sheppard, Tighe (McCann 60), McLane (Draper 45), Meehan, Draper, Timons (c), Naylor D, Buxton (Rick 60), Naylor J, Easom, Green, Carter. Subs not used: Wilson, Fletcher.

Referee: Mr Liam Jones

Assistants: Mr Dave Hamilton and Mr Andy Richardson

Man of the Match: Danny Naylor

Attendance: 45