7-up Bulls charge to derby day win

editorial image

AFC Mansfield grabbed the bragging rights over local rivals Rainworth Miners’ Welfare with a 4-1 victory — their seventh successive victory.

Defenders Joe Cheeseman, Matty Plummer and Grant Allott gave the Bulls a three-goal half-time lead.

Allott added a fourth in the second half before ex-Bull Declan Brewin netted a late consolation goal for the visitors.

AFC Mansfield surged up to sixth in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division, but Rainworth remained 18th — nine points clear of the relegation zone.

Since a draw between the two sides earlier in the season, the Wrens had won just two matches — including one the previous week — but they were well beaten by the home side.

The Bulls were straight on the front foot from the kick-off and only a good save by Ben Townsend denied Ollie Fearon an early goal.

Plummer then had a header cleared off the line before the Bulls took the lead.

Lynton Karkach curled the corner into the six-yard area and former Wren Cheeseman rose highest to head past Townsend.

As AFC dominated Towns-end did well to deny another ex-Wren, Danny Naylor, from a free-kick.

Rainworth’s first assault on the Mansfield goal finally came in the 27th minute, but after a fine interchange between Brewin and Nick Langford there was no one on the end of Langford’s excellent cross.

In the 36th minute Matty Plummer’s excellent late run saw his powerful header from a Karkach cross make it 2-0.

Right on half-time it was three when Naylor’s 25-yard curling free kick, after Karkach was fouled, was tipped on to the post.

The ball cannoned back along the six-yard box where Allott had the simplest of finishes to score.

Rainworth made a better start to the second half and should have scored on 50 minutes when Brewin headed wide when well-placed from Langford’s cross

In a two-minute spell, however, Rainworth were lucky not to concede further goals to Fearon.

First Townsend was left stranded when the striker got to a ball first, but Fearon’s lob from 20 yards bounced a yard from goal and was hooked away.

Then the striker fired wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Townsend tipped another Naylor free kick on to the post in the 65th minute and Allott headed home the rebound in the six-yard area as the home side stretched their lead.

After a few substitutions, the game appeared to be running out of steam until Brewin pounced on a loose ball and rounded home keeper Jason White to fire into an empty net.

It was only the fourth goal the Bulls had conceded in seven matches, but was just a consolation for the visitors.