Nicky Law cautious despite Alfreton Town’s victory over AFC Telford United

10-0196-8'' Alfreton, Nicky Law
10-0196-8'' Alfreton, Nicky Law
Share this article

Alfreton Town manager Nicky Law was in typically cautious mood despite seeing his side beat AFC Telford United 3-2 on Tuesday.

Law’s side are now unbeaten in their last three games following a terrible start to the season.

The result means Alfreton now have seven points and have climbed off the bottom of the table.

Said Law: “If you had looked a week ago where we were at and where we are now, we have done well, but we are not out of the woods yet.

“We were never as bad as the results and position suggested. We are not the best in the division, but we are certainly not the worst.

“It is a case of small steps, just keep improving, keep our focus and get ourselves back into the pack.”

Alfreton’s win over Telford was built on a dominant first half performance, but Law was also quick to divert his players’ thoughts on what needs to be done, not what has been.

“It was a tough game. I thought in the first half we were worthy of our lead, we played really well,” he said.

“In the second half, they (Telford) changed it slightly and went more direct.

“They are a big side and caused a few problems. We also probably caused ourselves a few problems with a couple of errors but we hung on in the end.

“It is another good win and great return from the last three games, but we need to push it on now.”

Alfreton opened the scoring on 12 minutes when Andi Thanoj’s heavily deflected shot looped off Steve Akrigg and over keeper Jonathan Hedge.

But their lead lasted just five minutes though with Hedge’s huge clearance coolly steered past Reds’ keeper Cameron Dawson from 12 yards.

Telford then sat back and allowed Alfreton to take control of the game and they duly restored their advantage through Tom Shaw on 19 minutes.

Ironside then extended the home side’s lead in first-half stoppage time following a scrappy finish.

Alfreton’s frailty at defending corners rose its head again with Byrne’s header reducing the deficit and guaranteeing an anxious finale.