MATCH REPORT: Danny Rose the late hero for super Stags

Sub Danny Rose secured a fairytale second home victory in four days for new Mansfield Town boss Steve Evans with a winning goal two minutes into added time to shoot down high-flying Blackpool 1-0 tonight.

Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 9:46 pm
Updated Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 10:27 am
Ashley Hemmings - so close to an early goal against Blackpool.

On a damp, misty night at One Call Stadium there had been few clear cut chances at either end as Stags sought to leapfrog the side in seventh place in the play-off spots.

Both keepers made decent saves but, after the thrills of Saturday’s 3-1 win over Crawley, Stags found the Seasiders much tougher opposition.

However, just when it looked like a 0-0 draw, Matt Green’s low shot was parried into the path of Rose who turned it over the line, despite the keeper’s best attempts to keep it out to spark wild celebrations.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Evans named an unchanged line-up as the game survived a morning inspection after Monday’s rain.

The new boss was forced to persist with his makeshift defence with Lee Collins and Kyle Howkins injured and Alex Iacovitti suspended so the clean sheet will be extra welcome.

There was just one change on the bench as teenage striker Zayn Hakeem replaced Darius Henderson, who is suffering from a virus.

The visitors were sitting in seventh place and the final play-off spot just two points ahead of the Stags, having won their last two games.

Six games unbeaten in all competitions, they included former Stags man Junior Daniel in their starting XI.

Gobern had an ambitious punt at goal from 35 yards in the first minute as the ball fell invitingly for him, the effort going wide of the right post but close enough to worry keeper Slocombe.

Potts then fluffed a chance to shoot for Blackpool when he slipped as he tried to get on the end of a low pull back from the left by Cullen.

On four minutes Hoban curled in a cross from the left and Hemmings might have done better as he nodded a header wide from a central position seven yards out.

Blackpool were then fortunate no one got on the end of a firm low cross from Benning.

On nine minutes Hoban cut in from the left and got his shot on target, Slocombe forced to parry as Mansfield kept up the impressive early pace.

The game then settled down with referee Darren Handley’s whistle dominating as both sides tried to find some rhythm.

Potts had a low shot from 20 yards out from the left corner of the box on the half-hour, but it was tame and straight at Shearer.

Stags won the night’s first corner on 34 minutes, but the Seasiders cleared their lines.

Then we had the first yellow card on 37 minutes after Pugh had upended Mitch Rose.

More good home pressure after a half-cleared free kick saw Stags ask a few questions but eventually see a clearance bounce off Bennett and fly wide for a goalkick.

Good work by Mitch Rosse down the right after the break saw him swap passes with Green and cross to the far post, but no one was there to capitalise.

Sliding tackles by Mitch Rose and Pearce got the crowd in full voice again, but on 54 minutes Clements was booked for persistent fouling, Potts on target when the free kick was rolled to him but Shearer hanging onto it well.

Then a Payne free kick on 61 minutes was headed at goal by Robertson and Shearer had to turn it away.

Green was also added to the book on 66 minutes for persistent fouls as the home fans let Mr Handley know what they thought of his performance.

Danny Rose replaced Hemmings on 69 minutes.

A minute later Clements forced a good save from Slocombe low to his right on 70 minutes as a clearance reached him and he met it with a powerful volley from 20 yards.

Daniel was booked on 77 minutes for a late tackle on former team mate McGuire to home fans’ cheers.

Benning was well over from distance and Green scuffed another shot that hit the corner flag as we reached the last eight minutes.

On 87 minutes a low Gobern effort from 25 yards found its way through a crowd of players to force Slocombe to save.

But Stags’ final push saw them make the breakthrough and secure three more points at the last gasp

STAGS: Shearer; M. Rose, Pearce, Bennett, Benning; McGuire, Clements, Gobern, Hemmings (D. Rose 69); Green, Hoban. Subs not used: Jensen, Baxendale, Thomas, Hamilton, Law, Hakeem.

BLACKPOOL: Slocombe, Mellor, Taylor, Robertson, Potts, Cullen (Philliskirk 75), Aldred, Matt (Gnanduillet 67), Pugh, Daniel, Payne. Subs not used: Boney, McAlister, Nolan, Yeates, Osayi-Samuel.
REFEREE: Darren Handley of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 2,801 (225 away).