Stags let slip half-time lead and lose out to AFC Wimbledon

Mansfield Town's Matt Green  - Pics by Chris Holloway
Mansfield Town's Matt Green - Pics by Chris Holloway
Share this article

Mansfield Town traded places with AFC Wimbledon in League Two, as Adam Murray’s Stags let slip a half-time lead and returned home empty-handed.

The 3-1 victory saw the Dons move up into eighth, with Mansfield dropping one position in the table.

Mansfield Town attack the AFC Wimbledon defence  - Pics by Chris Holloway

Mansfield Town attack the AFC Wimbledon defence - Pics by Chris Holloway

The Stags began well, Matt Green putting them ahead, but things turned sour after the break as Lyle Taylor, Jonathan Meades and Adebayo Azeez each found the net for the Dons.

Green won a free kick on 11 minutes and, after Wimbledon goalkeeper James Shea failed to punch clear, he was on hand to tap home and give Adam Murray’s side the lead.

Green almost had the chance to double Mansfield’s lead on 24 minutes when he found his way into the penalty area, but a well timed tackle from Paul Robinson thwarted the chance.

The away side’s ability to keep possession well began paying off, and they created another chance ten minutes before the break but Dons keeper Shea smothered the ball at the feet of Reggie Lambe to prevent a certain goal.

With seconds to go before the half time whistle, Green again found his way through on goal, but a courageous block from Barry Fuller saw his shot deflect out behind Shea’s goal to ensure the Stags went into half time just one goal ahead.

Taylor saw a goal ruled out for offside early in the second half but seconds later, he broke through on goal and calmly slotted into the centre of the goal.

On 78 minutes a corner whipped in by substitute Callum Kennedy was met by Meades to powerfully head the ball into the bottom corner.

Mansfield almost immediately equalised when a beautifully curled effort from Chris Clements cannoned off the post, but Wimbledon cleared the ball to safety.

And with just four minutes to go, Tom Elliot flicked the ball through to Azeez who chipped over Brian Jensen to round things off.