Stags boss Paul Cox asks referee to look again at Matt Green’s red card after Mansfield Town draw play-off semi first leg at York

editorial image

MANSFIELD Town manager Paul Cox confirmed tonight that he intends to see if he can appeal against 30-goal striker Matt Green’s red card in tonight’s 1-1 BSBP play-off semi-final first leg draw at York City.

Green was dismissed for a second bookable offence as the referee Richard Clark decided he had used his hand to try to push the ball round the keeper.

As it stands Green will miss Monday’s crucial second leg at Mansfield. But, despite it being highly unlikely the referee would change his mind, Cox said: “I have just seen it on the TV monitor and it looks like he didn’t touch it.

“The keeper had stretched out a hand and Greeny puts his hand out but more or less pulls it back away and doesn’t make contact with the ball.

“I think he was sent off more from the shout. I have asked the referee to look at it and see if he will rescind it.

“If not we will just get on with it. It is always a blow to lose your top scorer but it opens the door for someone else.

“Ross Dyer played down the middle at Wrexham and was excellent.

“I am not going to cry over spilt milk and feel sorry for myself.”

Dyer put Stags ahead in a frantic first half in which Stags never played as they can before an Exodus Geohaghon own goal squared it before the break.

“To come here and get a draw with 10 men I have to be happy with the result,” said Cox. “But we didn’t give a good account of ourselves tonight.

“I can’t remember when we last looked so disjointed and played that poorly to be honest. We didn’t show any structure or work to our blueprint.

“But the lads worked really hard from the first whistle to the last and gave everything for this club.

“Even with 10 men we kept our shape, worked hard and showed desire not to let York finish us off.

“Maybe it was the occasion as some of these players have never played in such a big game before. That’s the best thing about tonight as maybe we have now got the jitters out the way and look a bit more comfortable at home.

“Maybe it’s this ground as we were disjointed last time we came here we did the same and paid the price.

“We will need to play much better than this if we want to progress on the next phase. We have got to believe in what got us into third place in the league.

“I thought there was a foul just before their equaliser but overall there were some strange refereeing decisions.”

Centre half Martin Riley limped off with a slight hamstring strain and is very doubtful for Monday.