Report: York City 1-2 Mansfield Town

Matt Green celebrates his second goal. Photo by Steve Uttley.
Matt Green celebrates his second goal. Photo by Steve Uttley.

Matt Green struck twice in the first-half as Mansfield came from a goal behind to win at Bootham Crescent on Saturday.

Green showed fine predatory instincts for his first and deadly accuracy for his second to earn Stags a deserved win as a toothless City side struggled to break Adam Murray’s side down in the second-half.

Stags named an unchanged line-up from the 1-1 draw at home to Oxford a week earlier, but the hosts settled far better and scored with the first chance of the game on six minutes.

Krystian Pearce fouled Reece Thompson out on the left wing and when Luke Summerfield swung in the low free-kick it was Thompson who got the faintest of touches to take the ball past Brian Jensen.

Mansfield’s first effort of note came from Mitch Rose whose 25-yarder was deflected wide on 13 minutes, and it was from the corner that the equaliser came.

Reggie Lambe found Adam Chapman on the edge of the box and his slightly mis-hit low ball into the six yard box saw Green on hand to turn the ball home from six yards out and level the scores.

It was nearly another slice of luck that put Stags in front minutes later but Malvind Benning’s low cross missed its targets in the middle and also the far post my inches.

Stags were getting more and more of the ball in attacking areas and they took the lead in some style on the half-hour mark.

Green was released through the middle but still had work to do as he faced two York defenders, his solution being to cut onto his right foot and fire in a low shot from 20 yards that beat Scott Flinders in the City goal.

York responded with David Tutonda’s run and cross from the left being fired over the bar by a stretching Vadaine Oliver ten yards out, Green trying to recreate his second goal moments later but this time shooting high and wide after Chris Clements had played him in down the left.

Marvin McCoy was whipping some good balls in from the right and from one of those on 39 minutes York should have scored, but skipper Russ Penn, who was totally unchallenged 12 yards out, somehow headed wide rather than finding the net and Stags went in 2-1 up at the break.

Clear openings were few in the the second-half as York struggled to break down a well organised Stags defence and the visitors seemed happy to play on the counter.

An error from Chapman nearly let James Bennett in but his shot from an angle was screwed wide, Femi Ilesanmi then nodding a corner from Bennett just wide on 66 minutes.

Benning curved a free-kick into Flinders’ arms with 15 minutes to go, but York weren’t providing too much quality up top, Ryan Tafazolli standing tall and proving a key man in repelling what the hosts did get near the penalty area.

Ilesanmi got into the box again for a set piece but could only head over when challenging Jensen in the air ten yards out.

As unlikely as York were looking to get a leveller, Stags were at getting a third, although Clements was inches away on 84 minutes with a driven shot which just missed the far post.

But it mattered not as the game frittered out and the three points went back to Nottinghamshire.

York: 1 Scott Flinders, 2 Marvin McCoy (Emile Sinclar 65), 3 Femi Ilesanmi, 4 James Berrett, 8 Luke Summerfield (Ben Godfrey 46), 9 Vadaine Oliver, 10 Russell Penn (c), 15 Keith Lowe, 16 Dave Winfield, 22 Reece Thompson (Josh Carson 76), 27 David Tutonda

Subs not used: John McCombe, Eddie Nolan, Callum Rzonca, Michael Ingham (GK)

Mansfield: 12 Brian Jensen, 3 Malvind Benning, 4 Mitch Rose (Jack Thomas 61), 5 Krystian Pearce, 7 Adam Chapman, 8 Chris Clements, 10 Matt Green, 11 Craig Westcarr (Chris Bearsley 89), 15 Ryan Tafazolli, 16 Nicky Hunt (c), 19 Reggie Lambe (Lee Collins 77)

Subs not used: Liam Marsden, Nathan Thomas, Adi Yussuf, Jamie McGuire

Ref: Tony Harrington

Att: 3,215 (632 away)

Star Stag: Ryan Tafazolli