REPORT: Mansfield Town 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers


A goal in either half secured a 2-0 win for Wycombe Wanderers to ruin Adam Murray’s 50th game in charge of Mansfield Town.

Luke O’Nien headed home from close range on eight minutes, before Aaron Amadi-Holloway wrapped up the points in injury time.

Goalkeeper Matt Ingram pulled off a number of key saves throughout as Wanderers secured their first win in five.

Stags flowing attacking football carved out a number of chances throughout the 90 minute as they showed why they can be such a potent attacking force.

But they failed to make the most of the many openings as they slipped to their second successive home defeat.

Adam Chapman tested Ingram with a long range effort after a flowing move involving Blair Adams and Matt Green opened up the visitors inside four minutes.

Green then had a snapshot saved by Ingram on seven minutes as Stags continued to look lively up front.

But it was Wycombe who took the lead against the run of play a minute later when O’Nien headed past Brian Jensen after unselfish play from Garry Thompson.

Craig Westcarr fired over with a curling effort, before Adams failed to make the most of plenty of space as he drilled a shot well over.

The strength and hold-up play of Green proved decisive in creating both chances as the Wycombe rearguard struggled to deal with the power of the Stags frontman.

Aaron Pierre stood up strong to block a thunderous effort from Reggie Lambe on 35 minutes as Mansfield continued to rely on long range efforts to crack the visitors.

Jason McCarthy wasted a decent chance to double Wycombe’s lead just before the break when he found space in the box but failed to connect correctly with the ball, Wanderers remaining ahead at the break by a single goal.

Ingram pulled off a superb diving save a minute after the restart to palm away a Lee Collins header as Murray’s men started on the front foot.

Sam Wood fluffed a header from ten yards out on 49 minutes after Wycombe broke at speed and exploited the space..

Stags then had Jensen to thanks after he spread himself well to block Thompson’s shot after he was clean through a minute later.

Collins then mopped up the loose ball at the expense of a corner as Mansfield continued to live dangerously.

Substitute Adi Yussuf should have done better on 58 minutes when his mis-hit effort bobbled harmlessly through to Ingram, Green then firing into the Quarry Lane end as Stags continued to falter.

The inspired Ingram pulled off two great saves to twice deny Nathan Thomas on 71 and 72, while Ryan Tafazolli then headed straight at the Wanderers keeper as the hosts turned up the pressure in the closing stages.

But the points were sealed for the visitors when Amadi-Holloway cooly doubled their lead in stoppage time after a pin-point pass by Matt Bloomfield.