HALFTIME Grimsby 2-0 Mansfield Town

Mansfield Town found themselves trailing 2-0 at the break in today’s BSBP clash at Grimsby Town.

The home side are yet to win this season but grabbed the lead in a scrappy first half through Frankie Artus 10 minutes from the break.

The situation worsened in stoppage time as Jake Speight conceded a penalty which saw Greg Pearson double the Mariners’ advantage.

The game began in typical English Bank Holiday Monday rain with Stags taking the game to the home side.

But a loose header by Dempster in the box offered the first shooting chance with Cook seeing his effort deflect for a corner, which was over-hit and sailed into touch.

That seemed to encourage the home side who then put three dangerous low balls into the Stags box, the last of which was put out for another corner. But Cox’s men again survived the flag kick.

Roberts screwed a half-chance well wide from a half-cleared free-kick for the visitors.

There was more danger for Mansfield on 11 minutes as Pearson slipped Colbeck into space on the right wing, Daniel bringing him down to take the booking and halt the move.

That sparked a series of late tackles from both sides.

A poor ball from Niven set Green into space. But the break was halted by an offside flag.

On 19 minutes Artus almost conjured something from nothing with a curling effort from wide on the right which deflected onto the roof of the Mansfield net.

Stags then broke quickly from a poor short corner by the Mariners and it ended with Green firing wide.

Artus sent the next effort well wide from 20 yards as he saw Howell steaming towards him out of the corner of his eyes.

A neat move involving Clements and Meikle saw keeper McKeown push the low cross round his near post before Speight could reach it to give Stags’ their first corner on the half-hour mark. That was wasted as the referee spotted pushing and gave Grimsby a free kick.

However, a scrappy game was brought to life in the 35th minute by a goal for the home side.

Colbeck teased Daniel on the right before pulling the ball back to Niven who rolled a square pass for Artus to slam home a superb finish from 20 yards high to Marriott’s right.

Roberts’ name was added to the book a minute later for a late tackle on Wood.

The home side had a good shout for a penalty when a Dempster slip almost let in Cook, Jones racing over to cover but the ball striking his hand. Thankfully the referee decided it was ball to hand.

Stags were rightly annoyed when the referee played advantage on the by-line, Artus eventually crossing onto the roof of the net. But the referee then brought play back to award the free kick which led indirectly to a second Mariners goal.

Howell rose magnificently to head clear where Speight failed to take possession. Tracking back chasing Thomas, he made a final desperate lunge and clearly brought him down in the box, getting booked for his troubles.

Up stepped Pearson to send Marriott the wrong way in the first minute of stoppage time and Mansfield went in with a massive uphill task ahead.