HALF-TIME: Workington 0-1 Mansfield Town

editorial image

A JAKE Speight goal on 33 minutes gave Mansfield Town a slender half-time advantage in today’s FA Cup fourth qualifying round tie at Blue Square Bet North Workington.

But the home side will wonder how they were behind after the Reds hit the Stags’ woodwork three times while Junior Daniel also had to make a goalline clearance in a thrilling first 45 minutes.

Central defender Dempster was handed the captain’s armband for the day.

In the opening minute Vaulks flicked a backheader well wide from a left wing cross by Arnison for the home side.

Taylor then confidently claimed Roberts’ first corner for the visitors and punched clear a second soon after.

Arnison did well on a fifth minute break to check inside and curl a left footed effort on target from 25 yards, though Redmond was always safely behind it.

Roberts tried to send Speight through after Wright had lost the ball but overhit the pass and the ball ran through to Taylor.

Roberts curled a decent free kick in from the right which Jones guided wide with his head in a crowded six yard box.

Roberts made space in the centre of the park on 13 minutes before trying to put Speight away. He appeared to be offside but was allowed to continue and forced Taylor to parry down to his right.

Workington swept straight upfield and Arnison’s square pass picked out Wright whose looping finish clipped the top of the Mansfield crossbar from 20 yards on 14 minutes.

Two minutes later a high Daniel ball into the box was half-cleared to the incoming Howell who sliced a snapshot wide from 15 yards.

On 21 minutes Wright again came close as he held the ball up at the edge of the Stags box and managed to turn and thread a low shot through which beat Redmond but clipped the outside of the post.

The Reds continued to ask the questions as Redmond was forced to punch away a Boyd free kick and Hewson’s follow-up was blocked.

Redmond was then safely there to grab a dipping Arnison from the left.

However, against the run of play, Mansfield took a 33rd minute lead through Speight.

Todd launched the bal long down the centre, Green helped it to Speight, who cut inside to his left before slotting the calmest of finishes under Taylor.

Workington found their luck out again on 43 minutes when they hit the woodwork for a third time. A long ball in from the right from Boyd picked out an unmarked Arnison who guided an unstoppable sidefooted volley past Redmond only to see it cannon off the crossbar.

And there was more danger from the corner as Hewson crashed in a low shot which Daniel blocked right on the goalline to somehow keep Mansfield’s noses in front at the interval.