HALF-TIME: Mansfield Town 2-0 Woking

A MUCH-improved display from Mansfield Town had them sitting pretty 2-0 ahead at home to Woking this afternoon.

The returns of Adam Murray and Exodus Geohaghon provided some much-needed stability and both goals stemmed from Woking struggling to clear long throws from the powerful Geohaghon.

Louis Briscoe fired home the 10th minute opener before a cool finish by Matt Rhead in stoppage time gave Stags a two-goal cushion.

There were early cheers for Geohaghon as he raced across to dispossess Betsy in full flight on the right with a perfectly-timed tackle.

The nippy Betsy then got the better of Daniel to reach the by-line and put in a dangerous low cross which Jones was happy to turn over the bar for a corner which Jones then headed clear.

The seventh minute saw the first Geohaghon long throw which generated great noise and excitement in the stands and was flicked on by Rhead, but Woking managed to kick clear.

But Geohaghon’s next throw on 10 minutes did produce the much-needed early opener for the home side.

Woking struggled to clear Murray helped it back towards goal where the ball rolled off a defender for Briscoe to the right of goal who crashed home a low shot inside the far post.

Sawyer was booked for going in late on Daniel on 19 minutes.

Keeper Howe clawed another Geohaghon throw away for a corner.

Jones really should have doubled the lead from that as it was eventually cleared to Geohaghon who played a pass to Meikle. He picked out Howell at the far post and he headed back in front of goal where Jones was unable to keep his finish down from three yards and saw it sail up and over.

Pires gave Marriott is first test with a curling left foot shot from 25 yards which the keeper clutched above his head.

A superb Murray chip forward was only just too long for Green as he tried to go one-on-one.

Then on 32 minutes, from a half-cleared corner Meikle had a shot blocked which bounced towards Geohaghon who fired a half-volley past Howe only to see Betsy clear off the goal line to deny him.

Howell was harshly booked for a routine foul on 35 minutes. McNerny took the free kick and curled it up and over the wall only to see Marriott perfectly in position to grab it.

McCallum then hit a powerful 30 yard effort at goal from a central position which Marriott easily grabbed.

Two minutes were added on at the end of the half in which time Geohaghon bombed in two more throws.

When Woking failed to clear the second of those, Rhead doubled the home lead as the watch crept onto 48 minutes.

Daniel lost the ball but won it back well and then threaded a pass through the advancing Cards defence for Rhead to stab the coolest of finishes past Howe.