HALF-TIME: Kidderminster 0-0 Mansfield Town

SOMEHOW there was no score in the first 45 minutes of an entertaining chances-filled clash between Kidderminster Harriers and Mansfield Town at Aggborough this afternoon.

Harriers were desperately trying to sneak into the last of the play-off spots.

But, with Luton Town winning at Fleetwood at the break and only needing a point to pip Harriers, hope was fast-fading for the West Midlands club.

Stags had the edge of possession, but the lively home side carved out as many openings on an unseasonal freezing cold afternoon.

Harriers began on the front foot, forcing a corner after just 40 seconds from which Marshall rose to plant a firm header just wide.

But Rhead almost put Stags ahead on three minutes as he chased a short backpass from Marshall, lifting it over the keeper who was still able to re-adjust and somehow scoop it out as it dipped slowly towards the net.

Soon after Rhead took a nasty elbow in the face with no action taken against the home defender but play held up for treatment.

Todd won a free kick just outside the box which Andrew hit poorly low into the wall.

Stevenson then tested Breeden from 25 yards, the keeper taking it comfortably as it skidded up off the turf.

A knock-down from Worthington then saw Rhead slice wide from a similar distance while Stevenson had a shot blocked as the visitors slowly began to take a grip.

Hankin went on a dangerous run down the right for Harriers and swung in a low cross which, under pressure, O’Neill coolly chested back to his keeper.

On 16 minutes Kidderminster wasted another good chance. Vaughan crossed early from the right and an unmarked Malbon, with only Redmond to beat, volleyed his finish into the ground and saw it bounce tamely to the keeper.

Todd then forced Breeden into a low save with his 20 yard drive from inside the D.

Andrew entered the notebook on 21 minutes. After losing the ball to Hankin, the full back gave chase to retrieve it but his eventual tackle was fractionally mistimed and brought the Harriers man down.

On 23 minutes, the best move so far saw Hankin float the ball in, Rowe lay it neatly back by cushioning it on his heel and Mabon lifting a dipping half-volley over the far angle with Redmond helpless.

From Harriers’ second corner, Storer threw himself into a near post header that zipped just wide of the post.

Todd was booked for bringing down Hankin on 29 minutes.

Rhead got a head onto a Briscoe cross from the right but not enough power to trouble Breeden, then an Andrew cross destined for the head of Stevenson right in front of goal saw a defender just manage to get a head to it to concede a corner.

Stags again came close on 35 minutes. Roberts threaded a great pass through for Todd who, with a great chance to shot, unselfishly squared for Stevenson who forced Breeden into a great stop, clawing up one-handed.

The ball came back out to Rhead who was just wide of the right angle as Harriers survived.

Then Stevenson did well to control, cut inside a defender on the left by-line and play the ball towards Briscoe who whipped it across goal and wide of the far angle.

There was a moment of farce as Redmond made of hash of clearing a backpass and fell onto the ball. With Rowe trying to nick it away and into the net, knowing Redmond could not pick it up, there were a few surreal seconds as the keeper went round in a circle three times on his hands and knees, protecting the ball but trying not to pick it up.

It was finally cleared by O’Neill with Harriers claiming the keeper had picked it up, Storer booked for his protests.

Vincent dragged a long range shot wide soon after, while Stevenson was a boot’s length short of getting a toe onto a through ball into the box as an entertaining game continued to ebb and flow through to the break.