HALF TIME: Fleetwood 0-0 Mansfield Town

The afternoon began with a minute’s applause for the late Fleetwood junior coach Rob Wilkinson, who has died aged only 19.

The huge Stags following made it sound like a home game with all the noise coming from behind Marriott’s goal at kick-off.

An untidy first seven minutes saw Stags create the first half-chance as Dyer headed on a long Marriott clearance and Green ran onto it before firing a powerful shot at goal from a difficult angle that Davies parried and was lucky the incoming Meikle could not get a decent contact on it as it bounced badly for him.

Then Roberts picked out Dyer for a far post header into the centre which was cleared to O’Neill who, with a shooting chance begging, fired into the sidenetting.

Stags won a corner on the right which was cleared out to Murray whose rasping 35-yarder took Davies by surprise and he clumsily parried it up and over.

Roberts was lectured by the referee after bringing down Seddon in full flight, but no card was produced to the disgust of the home fans.

Mansfield continued to make the running and Howell had a shot blocked just inside the home box.

On 15 minutes Green almost made the breakthrough. Howell nodded a down a far post O’Neil cross for Green six yards out who just couldn’t get over his stretched finish as the ball spooned up and over the bar.

On 19 minutes the Cod Army carved out their first chance as Cavanagh floated the ball high into the box and McGuire rose highest to send a looping header over Marriott but also over the bar.

He probably should have done better and, after all Stags’ pressure, it served as a warning of the home side’s abilities.

All of a sudden Fleetwood had their tails up and Marriott came up with a stunning save to preserve the parity on 22 minutes.

Goodall sent in a corner which Pond met hard and true with a header that Marriott just managed to turn up and against the bar.

Three more corners quickly followed and, from the second of those, the ball came back to Goodall, who swapped passes with Seddon to burst into the box but, faced with just the keeper to beat, Marriott again did the business as he spread himself well to block.

Ther home side enjoyed a spell of keep-ball, but Mansfield stood their ground in the sweltering sunshine and the possession ended with an offside flag.

On 32 minutes Fowler’s brilliant cutting pass down the left put Goodall into space. He then whipped in a low cross in front of goal which McGuire just failed to reach as he slid in trying to turn it home.

Having survived Fleetwood’s onslaught well, Stags began to enjoy some possession of their own to the cheers of the travelling fans.

Both sides made half-hearted appeals for penalties just before the break. But Stags went in all square at half-time, and deservedly so.