FT report: Worksop Town 1 Mansfield Town 3

Mansfield Town's Kevan Hurst - Pic by Chris Holloway
Mansfield Town's Kevan Hurst - Pic by Chris Holloway

A crowd of 558 witnessed Mansfield Town ease to a 3-1 win over Worksop Town at Sandy Lane in the final weekend of pre-season action.

Stags skipper Lee Collins broke the deadlock for the visitors moments into the second half before Chris Clements doubled the advantage moments later.

The hosts pulled one back through an unmarked unnamed trialist but Mansfield had the final say, substitute Zayn Hakeem rounding off a comfortable win.

Stags lined up in a 4-1-3-2 formation and looked to attack from the kick off. Malv Benning was afforded a lot of time and space from the first whistle and he had the first effort on the home side’s goal, firing over from distance.

Worksop showed an attacking menace of their own through Adam Scott, who skipped past Lee Collins to get inside the box but saw his cross blocked by a recovering Stags defender for a corner.

It was a warning sign for the away side but turned out to be the only clear sight of goal for Tigers during a first 45 minutes which saw them pinned in their own half for long periods, as Stags dominated possession.

Matt Green showed his striker’s instinct as he held up the ball, turned neatly to create the space only to drag his shot wide of the target from inside the box. Danny Rose headed over from a cross from the right soon after.

There was an early change for Worksop at the heart of defence. Julian Lawrence limped off after an aerial challenge with Green and replaced by Leon Loftus. Mikey Fereday slotted in as the right-hand sided centre half as Loftus went right wing-back.

Mitchell Rose saw a header blocked and Green was also closed down quickly as Stags began to dominate but were yet to test Jon Kennedy in the Worksop goal. He was called in to action moments later when Benning curled one on target.

Kevan Hurst stung the palms of Kennedy with a drive from the edge of the box, Chris Clements chest and volley just over while at the other end Scott fired well over from a free-kick from fully 40 yards.

Green sends a header narrowly wide of Kennedy’s post and Rhys Bennett also missed the target rising high at the back stick unmarked. Then came the effort of the half from Hurst, who skipped inside Loftus and checked on to his right foot only to see his curling shot smack the cross bar.

Clements forced Kennedy into a save diving low to his right as the half ended goalless.

But the breakthrough came early after the re-start when skipper Lee Collins rose to head in Hurst’s in-swinging corner. It was a goal Stags’ dominance deserved.

The hosts looked to respond and Jack Hawkins fired over before a raft of changes from either side.

Stags got their second minutes later when Clements struck home from 12 yards out after Bennett’s pull back.

Scott Shearer was called into action when Mark Fereday found space for Worksop inside right channel and unleashed a powerful strike that the Stags keeper had to get down quickly to tip round the post.

Tigers came forward with promise and their efforts were rewarded when a cross come shot from the left found an orange shirt, number 18, who tucked the ball in to make it 2-1.

A yellow card was issued late on by referee James Bell to Worksop’s number 18 before substitute Zayn Hakeem finished the scoring three minutes from time. Pat Hoban dragged a shot wide before full time.


Tigers (3-5-2): Kennedy, Fereday, Johnson, Waddle, Lawrence (Loftus 15), Fenton, Hawkins (Jordan 59), Harrison (Parkin 59), Scott (Trialist 19, 63), Somes (Mark Fereday 59), Wesley (Trialist 18, 59)

Subs not used: Husbands, trialist, Periera, Stacey, Graves

Stags (4-1-4-1): Shearer, Bennett, Benning (Hemmings), Collins (Trialist 47), Taft (Howkins), Chapman, Clements (Hakeem, 71), Green (Maguire, 71), Hurst, M. Rose (Hamilton 62), D. Rose (Hoban 52)

Subs not used: Jensen, Baxendale

Referee: James Bell.

Attendance: 558