Wrens defeated as relegation fears increase

Rainworth Miners' Welfare manager Julian Watts.
Rainworth Miners' Welfare manager Julian Watts.

Victory at relegation rivals Barton Town OB would have all but ended the threat of dropping down from the Northern Counties East League Premier Division for Rainworth Miners’ Welfare.

However, a toothless opening half by the visitors, together with a soft penalty and a goal five minutes later, led to a 2-0 win for the hosts.

Rainworth substitutions in the second half led to threats on the Barton goal for the first time, but by then it was too late.

The result allowed Barton, who have played a game more, to close the gap on the Wrens to five points.

They both sit just outside the bottom three, with Parkgate only two points behind Barton after their late win at AFC Mansfield.

Barton, with a stronger line-up from when they lost 3-2 at Rainworth, were the first to threaten when an excellent save by Ben Townsend prevented Tom Waudby’s header opening the scoring.

Townsend was on hand again to save Gary Bradshaw’s goal-bound effort as Rainworth struggled to put together a sustained period of play.

In the 27th minute, the referee awarded a penalty after an innocuous-looking clash between Connor Griffin and Will Waudby saw Griffin booked and Tom Waudby scoring from the spot for Barton.

Five minutes later a fine passing move ended with Ryan Williams giving Eddie Robinson the easy task of tapping into an empty net to double the hosts’ advantage.

Rainworth, looking like a team fighting relegation at that stage, allowed Robinson to ghost on to a ball at the far post and were fortunate when it went across the face of goal and to safety.

Eight minutes into the second period Declan Brewin replaced James Munson as the visitors finally posed a threat, particularly when Nick Langford then replaced the injured Jordan Caxton.

In the 62nd minute an excellent last-ditch tackle denied Langford.

Then Brewin almost put the striker in, but the cross was blocked.

Barton should have added to their tally in the 82nd minute, however Townsend did well to block the first effort and Will Waudby put the second wide when well placed.

RAINWORTH MWFC: Townsend, Adlington, Claxton (Langford), Booker, Griffin, Ludlam, Harris (Parkin), Herbert, Munson (Brewin), Poole, Sykes. Subs not used): Peat.