Lacklustre Rainworth lose relegation battle against Market Drayton


Rainworth’s survival hopes were hit after they were beaten 2-0 by fellow strugglers Market Drayton.

The defeat leaves the Wrens third bottom with their rivals all having games in hand.

Rainworth kicked off with a breeze at their backs, but both sides started nervously such was the importance of the game.

Poor marking in the ninth minute saw Market Drayton break down the left and only a poor final ball left Rainworth only conceding a corner.

In the 10th minute a ricochet off debutant Andre Johnson almost gifted the lead to Rainworth, but Danny Read made a fine save at full stretch.

That was the nearest Rainworth came in a half were there were too many balls over hit and it was Market Drayton who dominated the best part of it.

Craig Ryan, who was proving a handful up front for Market Drayton, headed just wide in the 22nd minute.

The hard-worked Rainworth defence were grateful to Josh Raven for his goal-line clearance in the 25th minute.

It was Ryan again who caused trouble in the 33rd minute as he made a yard only to be thwarted by a fine David Reay save.

Mike O’Riley put his effort just wide in the 36th minute and this was quickly followed by Ryan‘s effort that went wide a minute later as Market Drayton pushed for the opener.

Rainworth brought on Steve Robinson for Elliot Brown, but it was Reay who was the first keeper in action as he saved well from Lyndon Campbell.

In the 55th minute Market Drayton’s dominance paid dividends when from a corner James Askey’s header found Jack Woolley who stabbed the ball home.

Rainworth brought on Theo Brown for Andre Johnson, but only a fine save by Reay from Campbell prevented Market Drayton adding to their score.

A minute later Campbell was denied again this time by Matt Millns, who cleared off the line.

Still Market Drayton came forward and Ryan’s effort just went the wrong side of the post.

Rainworth made their final substitution when Oli Brock replaced Romello Nangle.

The game became a formality when in the 86th minute Jack Woolley ran into the area and as he ran into a cul-de-sac he was brought down by Emeka Nwadike for a penalty.

Joseph Woolley stepped up and easily beat Reay for a 2-0 scoreline.

In the final minute the game erupted and players from both sides were involved in a melee. When it had calmed down the referee booked two players from each side.

That was the last act of a game that Market Drayton dominated for the majority and deservedly ran out winners 2-0.

Although not terminal, there are still 36 points to play for, any more displays like this and Rainworth can say good-bye to the Evo-Stik League.

RAINWORTH: Reay; Raven; Freeman; Hannigan; Millns; Kelleher; Graham; Nwadike; Nangle (Brock); Johnson (T.Brown); E.Brown (S.Robinson). Subs (not used): Sylla; I.Robinson.

Referee: Mr. Mark Perry.

Man of match: David Reay.