Four-goal Blidworth end losing run

Blidworth Welfare made light work of visitors Holbrook St Michael's as they ended their two-match Central Midlands League South Division losing streak with a 4-0 victory at the Welfare Ground.

Sunday, 27th August 2017, 2:34 am
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:02 pm

First-half goals by Tony Edwards, Jonathan Drake and Josh Brentnall were added to by a second-half strike from substitute Brad Clarke.

The home side had the first opportunity as an Aaron Pride free-kick was narrowly missed at the back post by the rising Jonathan Jenkinson after just three minutes.

Dominic Hayes had the first stab at goal for Holbrook as the attacker was played through after just 13 minutes. He received the ball in the box on the right side but could only flash his shot across goal and wide past the opposite post.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The home side eventually got the ball in the back of the net after 26 minutes but the chance was ruled out by the referee. A Lewis Weaver corner was smashed home at the back post by his team mate Jenkinson, but the referee ruled there had been a foul on the goalkeeper in the build-up.

Holbrook had a good chance to take the lead second later as their captain Chris Saunders received the ball deep in the Blidworth area following a long, cross field ball from Steve Levy on the opposite side of the field. Unfortunately, Saunders could only sky the ball after showing a great touch to bring it down.

Not taking that chance cost Holbrook almost instantaneously as Blidworth scored in the immediate aftermath. Lewis Weaver was able to race onto a ball down the left wing before putting a cross in for his team mate Tony Edwards, who was able to bundle the ball home.

That lead was doubled less than a minute later as Weaver broke down the wing yet again. The pacey forward saw his cross reach Jonathan Drake, who saw his initial shot blocked. This was then followed up by another blocked shot for Triston Burrell with the ball deflecting back to Drake at the back post, who happily tapped it home.

Not long after the half-hour mark, the game was wrapped up by Blidworth thanks to Josh Brentnall’s third strike of the season. Tony Edwards showed great tenacity to win the ball and hold it in the corner, he then found space to play it out to Burrell who was able to swing the ball into the box. Lewis Weaver connected with the ball in the middle, teeing up Josh Brentnall to rocket the ball home.

Both sides wasted good set-piece opportunities just after the break. Jonathan Drake fired a free-kick wide from the left edge of the box for the home side before Sam Williamson was fouled on the edge of Blidworth’s box. Dominic Hayes attempted a quick one-two with Yuyi Kabase before hitting his effort into the wall.

Just before the hour mark, Lewis Weaver nearly got another assist. After breaking down the wing yet again, Weaver launched a ball into the box which wasn’t dealt with by the goalkeeper and Tony Edwards’ header at the back post struck the post.

Jazz Crane was forced into making a good close range save in the Holbrook net with 17 minutes to go after Tony Edwards broke forward following a ball through from Joshua Brentnall. The striker ran from just inside the half with the ball before being denied at the keeper’s near post.

Substitute Brad Clarke wrapped things up for Blidworth in the 83rd minute following good work from fellow sub Cameron Davidson. The winger was able to fire a shot in from the edge of the box which seemed to take a deflected as it flew past Crane.

Ashley Roberts looked most likely at getting a consolation for Holbrook as he wasted their best chance of the game. The ball was played to him at the back post but the winger could only swipe at the ball which led to it flying the wrong side of the post when it looked easier to convert.

David Awomolo was able to slide in Sam Williamson for Holbrook soon after but the away side were denied by Michael Ball in the Blidworth net who was able to tip away his eventual shot.

Second half substitute Roberts nearly grabbed a goal from a set piece late on as he curled a free kick in from the left side, the ball evaded everyone as it slipped past the back post and out in the away side’s last chance.

After the game, Blidworth manager Lewis Saxby said: “I think we were nervous for the opening stages of the game but once we got going we showed some of our best passing so far this season.

“I think our performance dipped during the last 10 minutes but I couldn’t expect that level of intensity that we showed today for the full 90 minutes, especially considering the heat we were playing in.”