Clipstone fall in first hurdle of FA Cup

Clipstone fell at the first hurdle in the FA Cup with a disappointing display at Brigg Town as the hosts scored their winner deep into injury time.

Monday, 8th August 2016, 9:48 am
Updated Monday, 8th August 2016, 10:49 am

The Cobras came into the game in good form having been unbeaten in their pre-season matches.

Brigg were relegated from the NCEL Premier last season and will ply their trade in the NCEL Division One this season and seem to have a much stronger squad than last year.

Brigg won a corner as early as the third minute and Charlie Clemonshaw forced a good early save from Steve Hernandez who tipped his header over the bar.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Clipstone had a rare goal attempt on nine minutes when a 20-yard drive from James Ashmore had power but was off target.

However in general Brigg’s two tall central defenders dealt well with the long high balls that the Cobras played.

Lee Whittington had a shot straight at Graves in the Brigg goal on 35 minutes and then Andrew Fox had a good chance on 42 minutes when he latched onto a great long ball from James Ashmore but his shot from the corner of the area was off target.

The Cobras had their best chance of the first half in added time when Lee Whittington was put through by Steve McDonnell but Graves did well to save Whittington’s shot with his right leg.

After an untidy start to the second period from both sides, the home side took the lead on 59 minutes through Zak Brattan who was first to a cross from the right hand side and scored with a shot from eight yards out. 1-0

There was an immediate response from Clipstone when Ashmore and McDonnell combined to set up Whittington who pulled his first time shot wide of the post when well-placed.

Brigg then had another chance when the ball was crossed into the Cobras’ box and slack marking allowed Clemonshaw a free header but he was unable to trouble Hernandez.

Clipstone made another change on 64 minutes when Sam Forster replaced Whittington and, two minutes later, the Cobras equalised when Forster stabbed the ball in from close range.

As a replay at Clipstone looked likely, Brigg launched a last attack and Hernandez tipped a powerful shot from Paul Grimes over the bar after the striker got in between Paling and Chris Fawcus.

However Brigg scored from the resulting corner after the Cobras defended the corner poorly and Grimes shot home from one yard out with effectively the last kick off the game.