Clipstone boost promotion hopes with in over AFC Emley


Clipstone took a giant step towards securing promotion after defeating table-topping AFC Emley 2-1.

The win now leaves the ambitious Cobras just three points off top spot with four games in hand

Speaking after the game Clipstone manager Chris Millington said: ”I thought the lads were first class. At times it was possibly not the nicest of games to watch, but we showed different parts of our game that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

“When we needed to dig in, we did, and when we had the opportunity to play we did. I thought we attacked with intent.

“Our focus now turns to the next few games where we will be looking to progress in the league cup against Pontefract followed by a league game against Grimsby Borough.

“There is still a lot of football to be played and we must make sure that we are where we need to be come the business end of the season.”

It was the home side who had the first opportunity of the game when Alex Hallam dragged his shot inches wide of the far post after just three minutes.

Jamie Brown went past a defender before seeing his shot wewll saved by Emley goalkeeper Adam Lawlor as the visitors threatened.

Two minutes later Nick Siddons was called in to action as leaders Emley came back at Clipstone.

Midway through the half Clipstone had their best chance of opening the scoring when a really bad mix up in communication between Sam Jerome and his keeper let Dan Wood sneak in and take the ball before Lawlor could do anything about it.

Wood’s touch took him away from goal, though, and he fired wide from a tight angle with the goal wide open.

But Clipstone went ahead on 35 minutes when Matty Ord picked up the ball just inside the Emley half and carried the ball 30 yards before finding Dan Woods. Woods jinked his way past his defender and fired home to give the visitors the lead.

Just as it seemed Clipstone were going into the break with a one goal advantage, Karl Colley was adjudged to have brought down Ashley Flynn inside the Clipstone area.

Flynn picked himself up to take the spot kick and audaciously chipped the ball into the back of the net as Nick Siddons dived the other way.

Clipstone started the second half brightly and, on 49 minutes, Jamie Brown fired a dipping shot two yards over.

But Clipstone found the decisive goal on 54 minutes when Jamie Smith fired home after a superb pass from Ash Rawson picked him out.

With no more direct efforts at goal, Clipstone did well to keep possession in the closing minutes to secure what could be three massive points.