Boss hails AFC Mansfield players after shock FA Cup win over Gainsborough Trinity

Matt Chatfield hailed the efforts of every single player following their win over Gainsborough.Matt Chatfield hailed the efforts of every single player following their win over Gainsborough.
Matt Chatfield hailed the efforts of every single player following their win over Gainsborough.
AFC Mansfield boss hailed the role of every single after their 3-0 FA Cup win over Gainsborough Trinity

They booked their place in The FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round thanks to goals from Ross Duggan, Phil Buxton and Ben Algar.

“This is what days are made for. It is for the volunteers and everyone at the club. It is fantastic and gives us all a lift.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“The players were fantastic. That is 90 mins where they were very very good and I’ve not seen them that good in a while.

“It just goes to show the quality that we have got against a very good side. We deserved to win the game because we have been fantastic. What a great day.

“I can’t praise every single one fo the players enough, they were fantastic today.

“It has been coming because we have got a lot of new players, but today shows the quality. Everyone of them has been fantastic and worked tirelessly. They ran and ran. I can’t say how proud of the lads I am, they have been fantastic.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was Gainsborough who had the first sight of goal when Gregg Smith headed wide of the left-hand post after just 5 minutes. 3 minutes later and Lewis Collins puts his effort wide of the mark.

Good hold up play from Ross Duggan on 12 minutes, he then feeds the ball to Matt Sykes who tries his luck from 25 yards but the ball is always rising over the bar.

Sykes and Duggan then combined to set up Phil Buxton but the Captains shot was a little wayward.

Josh Wilde and Matt Wilson work together to break down a Gainsborough attack on 16 minutes. The ball is played forward to Duggan who tries an audacious 40-yard lob that has Tom Jackson back peddling before collecting 2 yards from his goal line.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Sykes and Duggan again linking up to open the scoring, with the latter unleashing a thunderbolt of a shot from the left side of the box which flew past Jackson and into the far side of the goal.

That pairing again carving out another chance on 24 minutes, Duggan’s curling effort going inches wide of the mark with Jackson at full stretch.

At the other end Hugo Warhurst gets down well to deny Rico Fyfe’s low driven effort.

Ben Algar saw his volley blocked after a long throw from Liam Marsden. Algar is then fouled on the half hour mark just outside the box, with Duggan’s free kick cannoning off the wall and to safety.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

38 minutes and Warhurst has to be alert to save Anthony Greaves shot on the turn. The home keeper was in action again a minute later to deny Fyfe’s 12 yard effort.

Gainsborough having a period of possession in the AFC half forcing 2 corners in quick succession. Simon Ainge heading the second one wide of the far post.

Final chance of the half is a very wayward effort from Sykes.

Two minutes into the restart and The Bulls doubled their lead. The ball was worked well down the left with Duggan, D’Laryea, Sykes and Algar all keeping the momentum going. When the cross came in it was only half cleared to the waiting Phil Buxton who volleyed home from just inside the box.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Gainsborough had to step up their game and so began a period of pressure with AFC defending and Hugo Warhurst working overtime to stem the tide.

The pressure finally told in the 75th minute when the visitors were awarded a penalty for a foul just inside the box.

Gregg Smith steps up and crashes the spot kick against the bar with Warhurst collecting the loose ball. More bad news for Gainsborough as Smith went down with a groin strain and having used all their subs were down to 10 men.

The introduction of Luke Walker added some much-needed strength to the attacking line for the home side and he linked well with Duggan and fired a rasping drive that Jackson parried with Duggan’s follow up going over the bar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The final goal came in the final minute of normal time and it was the determination of Ben Algar to chase down a loose back pass. The No. 11 blocked Jackson’s clearance just outside the box and when the ball ran clear he was able to control it and slot it home from the edge of the six-yard box.

AFC Mansfield: Warhurst, Marsden, Wilde, D’Laryea, Wilson, Annable, Karkach, Buxton (C), Duggan (Harrison 80), Sykes (Walker 78), Algar (Slone 88). Subs not used: McMillan & Pipes.

Gainsborough Trinity: Jackson, Cash, Bucci, Williamson, Ainge (C), Wiles (Lofts 46), Greaves (Dennison, Collins (Orlando-Young 46), Smith, Fyfe, Woolford. Subs noy used: Leverton.

Referee: Mr Luke Lazenby

Assistants: Mr William Booth & Mr Karl Bainbridge

Att: 201

MoM: Phil Buxton