Blidworth Welfare Reserves progress in League Cup after knocking out Belper United reserves

Blidworth Welfare Reserves advanced to the semi-finals of the League Cup after beating Belper United Reserves 3-0.

Monday, 30th March 2015, 8:51 am

Blidworth dominated from the start but were being frustrated by the dogged defending of Belper.

Despite the resolute defending, Blidworth took the lead on 32 minutes and doubled it within five minutes.

Firstly, the Blidworth right wing-back was given far too much time to get a cross into the box and the ball was headed home from six yards out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The second Blidworth goal came when Belper did not react from a corner, which was given to a Blidworth player on the edge of the area and he curled the ball into the top corner after, again, not being closed down.

Belper looked a bit brighter at the start of the second half as they used the wind to their advantage, but all the chances were long range efforts which never troubled the ‘keeper.

Blidworth created a number of chances but Stephen Waite pulled off a couple of top saves to keep Belper in with a chance.

With 20 minutes left, Blidworth sealed their victory with a third goal.

In the last minute Blidworth were awarded a dubious penalty when a player went down under a slight challenge from Crooks, but this was blazed over before the final whistle drew an end to proceedings.

Speaking after the game Belper boss Dave Kinder said: “We can’t have any complaints at all today. We knew it would be tough and we defended well for the majority of the first half, but we were disappointed in conceding two quick goals.

“If we had gone in at half-time level then it may have been different as Blidworth were getting frustrated with each other.

“However, the goals lifted their confidence and you can see why they are going to win the league too. It is clear they play with each other every week which isn’t a luxury we have unfortunately.”