Battling Ollerton rescue a point at the death

A last minute goal by Mark Carter meant that the points were shared on Saturday when Ollerton Town welcomed Winterton Rangers to The Lane.

Monday, 7th November 2016, 1:16 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:09 pm

With the score at 1-1 heading into the final 15 minutes, Ollerton went ahead before seeing that lead wiped out with Winterton then going 3-2 up minutes later. Ollerton never gave up however and with the last attack of the game, Carter notched his third goal in as many weeks to secure a good point for Ollerton against a Winterton side who are up challenging for a play-off position.

Winter is well and truly here and the bitterly cold wind that blew across The Lane all afternoon played a big part in Ollerton taking the lead after 13 minutes. A massive kick up field by Ollerton ‘keeper Scott Gretton travelled all the way into the Winterton area, and as central defender James Coulbeck attempted to head the ball to safety, he only managed to mis-direct the header into his own goal.

But the scores were level just seven minutes later when a free-kick was whipped in from the left and Matthew Crane found space in the area to loop a header over Gretton.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

One of Ollerton’s issues this season has been an inability to convert chances into goals and they saw two good chances in the first half pass them by.

A good ball through found Lewis Bingham and his shot was saved, with Kyle Ludlow firing the rebound over from a tight angle.

Bingham then nearly turned provider as his dinked cross found Sam Dockwray in the middle but his header went just wide of the target.

As the game reached its final stages, both sides were having their chances but it looked difficult to call who could take the upper hand and go on to seal victory.

Given it was Bonfire Night, it was quite apt that the game finally sparked into life in the last 15 minutes, to warm the eighty or so Ollerton fans who had braved the weather.

The home side went ahead again on seventy-seven minutes. Winterton failed to clear their lines after an Ollerton attack and after a mix up at the back, Lewis Bingham was on hand to impressively hook the ball into the back of the net for his first goal in ten games.

The lead only lasted a matter of minutes however as Winterton drew level. Jamie Richardson cut in from the left wing and his curling effort nestled into the far corner. Winterton now had the wind in their sails and with five minutes to go, they took the lead. A cross from the left was met by Matthew Crane and for the second time in the game, his header looped past Gretton.

That goal looked like it could be the winner but with the last attack of the game, Ollerton delivered a freekick from the right, and the ball landed at the feet of Mark Carter who slotted the ball home to mean the points were shared in what was probably a fair result.