AFC Mansfield defeat Old Elizabethan’s in extra-time after dramatic Nottinghamshire Intermediate Cup tie

OEs (Blue and Yellow) v AFC Mansfield
OEs (Blue and Yellow) v AFC Mansfield

BOTH sides entered this Nottinghamshire Intermediate Cup Round 3 game as current leaders in their respective leagues and full of confidence.

Neither side dominated the first 20 minutes, although Jason Edwards did put three separate headers wide of the mark in that time for AFC Mansfield.

Danny Naylor opened the scoring on 20 minutes. He received a pass from Ricky Chambers and picked his spot with his low 20 yard drive, which Jones in the OE’s goal was unable to hold.

Five minutes later Carl Haslam could have doubled the lead with an effort from the edge of the box, but Jones superbly tipped it over the bar for a corner.

Three minutes later it was 2-0 when Danny Tighe’s free kick was not cleared by the OE’s defence and Naylor drilled the ball past Jones from 10 yards.

Old Elizabethans pulled one back five minutes into the second half when Callum Wilkinson received a throughball from Louden, before firing past Ed Eley from just inside the box.

The home side were back on level terms on the hour mark. Poor defending from ‘The Bulls’ allowed Andy Boulton to smash the ball home from 10 yards.

AFC were now struggling a little and the new found confidence of the home side was particularly evident in striker Callum Wilkinson, who was causing all sorts of problems for the centre back pairing of Steve McGurk and Matt Draper.

AFC seemed to have weathered the storm and once again took the lead through Mark Carter, who stabbed home the loose ball from a Danny Tighe free kick.

The lead was short lived and two minutes later OE’s were back level courtesy of Wilkinson’s penalty.

OE’s energy seemed to desert them in extra time as AFC took control. AFC had to wait until the 108 minute to score the winner when Mark Carter made the most of a goalkeeping error to socre and put his side into the quarter-finals.