Wet weather forces Notts Outlaws match with Glamorgan to be abandoned

Wet weather descended over Welbeck Cricket Club for much of the day preventing Notts Outlaws and Glamorgan from completing their Royal London One Day Cup match.

Sunday, 26th July 2015, 4:11 pm

The contest did begin, with Notts making 83 for three from 23 overs before the players were forced from the field at midday and once the heavy rain had set in there was little option for the umpires but to call off the contest.

Jacques Rudolph had won the toss for Glamorgan and invited the home side to bat first. In the 90 minutes of play that was possible the bowlers held sway, particularly early on, as the Outlaws slumped to 23 for three.

Alex Hales, fresh from his century against Warwickshire the previous day, fell for just three runs as he and Riki Wessels, who made five, departed in the fourth over.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ruaidhri Smith had Hales taken at mid on by Michael Hogan and then saw Wessels pull him to Aneurin Donald on the midwicket boundary just four balls later.

James Taylor was caught behind by Mark Wallace off Michael Hogan, also for just three but Brendan Taylor and Samit Patel, playing the 200th List A match of his career, steadied the ship and had added 60 together for the fourth wicket when the rains came.

Taylor was unbeaten with 40 and Patel had reached 28 not out but there was no chance of either being able to resume their innings, meaning each county take one point apiece from the contest.

Mick Newell, Notts’ director of cricket, admitted that the weekend’s haul of points should serve his side well.

“We knew the forecast for today was poor,” he said. “The game yesterday was important for us to get a win and that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the group, so three points is a decent return (from the weekend) given the weather today.

“Batting in the first hour was quite difficult; the ball was moving around a little bit and it wasn’t coming onto the bat.

“It was a challenge but we were just getting ourselves into a nice partnership. It’s a shame that the game didn’t go it’s full course but a shortened game wouldn’t have suited us, having been 83 for three.

“If we’d been given the full 50 overs it would have been interesting to see what would have happened.”