Ashfield RUFC ladies dumped out of cup

Ashfield ladies were knocked out of the Women's Junior Cup after losing 10-0 at home to Kenilworth.

Monday, 21st November 2016, 9:50 am
Updated Monday, 21st November 2016, 1:27 pm

The visitors started strong and Ashfield immediately found themselves on the defensive, constantly thwarting Kenilworth’s attacking lines which led to Vicki Fegan kicking the ball into touch to clear.

The Ashfield backs, including Centre Lauren Dearing and full-back Harriet Gibbs had a few good runs to gain territory, but Kenilworth’s kicking game dealt with this and on the 15 minute mark, when they were back in Ashfield’s 22, they managed to get the ball cleanly through the backs hands to score on the wing.

The rest of the first half was an evenly matched affair, with Ashfield working hard to gain territory and Kenilworth turning over the ball and kicking it back.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fly Half Danii Booth also employed her kicking game, which combined with Ashfield’s strong scrummaging and lineouts, helped play the game in the right areas of the pitch, but Ashfield were unable to find the try line.

Ashfield started the second half the strongest, capitalising on the penalties Kenilworth gave away, which led to a lineout on the 5m.

Flanker Elena Martin Lopez secured the ball and expert work by the forwards led by Leanne Reeves, ensured position was maintained, before the ball was passed out to the backs and Centre Eve Byrne reached the try line, however the ball was deemed held up.

The game moved quickly from end to end, with Rebecca Searson having some good runs and winger Steph Hancock making some try saving tackles.

But despite hard work and immense effort, Kenilworth once again managed to find the overlap, passing the hands down the line and scoring on the wing for a 10-0 lead.

Ashfield’s defence as a team, especially on the try line, was well structured and effort laden and this team work prevented further Kenilworth points.

With time running out, Fegan, now at fly-half made a break for the try line but despite support runners, Ashfield were unable to score.