Woodhouse councillor dies after short illness

editorial image

TRIBUTES have been paid to a Mansfield Woodhouse councillor who died within hours of being re-elected on Friday.

Coun Dorothy Beastall (76) passed away after a short illness and had been a member of Mansfield District Council since 2003, representing the Robin Hood Ward for Labour.

On the day of her death she was elected to represent the Park Hall Ward – a new ward covering part of her former area created following boundary changes.

Coun Beastall was a member of the Licensing Committee and Select Commission One and was married to Keith Beastall, who is also a former district councillor.

Mansfield mayor Tony Egginton said: “This is extremely sad news and all our thoughts are with Dorothy’s husband Keith, their family and many friends.

“Although Dorothy was often a quiet person, she had a wonderful sense of humour and was passionate about standing up for the area and people she represented. She and Keith made a phenomenal team.”

Coun Andy Wetton, leader of the Labour Group at Mansfield District Council, said: “Our thoughts are with Dorothy’s family, especially Keith. Dorothy was an extremely committed councillor and worked very hard on behalf of the people she represented with such pride over a long period of time.

“We are sure that Dorothy knew about her victory in the election when she passed away, which I am sure provided her with some comfort. The news has been extremely deflating following all the excitement of the elections.”

The Park Hall seat on Mansfield District Council will remain unfilled until the vacancy is officially advertised, which cannot take place for a period of two months.

In the interim, residents of the Park Hall Ward are advised to contact Mr Egginton directly with any matters they would normally raise with their local councillor. His office is available by calling 01623 463707 or by email to tegginton@mansfield.gov.uk

Coun Beastall’s funeral service will take place on 18th May at Bridge Street Methodist Church at 12.30pm followed by a burial at Mansfield Woodhouse Cemetery.