VIDEO: Fire closes off part of Mansfield town centre

Bridge Street and Church Street in Mansfield has no re-opened after a fire incident.

The Corner House pub in Bridge Street will be closed until tomorrow after a fire prompted three fire engines to attend the scene.

The incident occurred at the Corner House pub in Church Street

The incident occurred at the Corner House pub in Church Street

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue said crews from Mansfield and Ashfield were called at 10.42am to a fire on Bridge Street, Mansfield.

A spokesman said: "This fire was at a building, measuring around 20m x 15m, which is used as a bar and restaurant.
"Upon arrival the firefighters found smoke was issuing from the building, which has two floors, and breathing apparatus wearers went into the building to search for the fire.

"The fire is now out (stop message came in at 1.53pm) and the crews are returning to their respective stations."

The Service’s Technical Rescue Unit was also called part-way through the incident to assist with gaining access to the fire (moving heavy objects so the firefighters could get it completely extinguished).

The area is still blocked off.

The area is still blocked off.

Group Manager Bryn Coleman, who attended the incident, said: “This has been a really tough fire to locate and extinguish as it had spread into voids between the walls and floors – however great work from all of the firefighters involved meant that the incident has now been dealt with.”

In total, crews used 10 breathing apparatus sets, two hose reel jets, thermal imaging cameras, positive pressure ventilation fans and heavy duty air bags.

The manager of the bar said he was called to the site this morning to a fire - firefighters broke into the bar as no-one was inside and cleaners had previously said they smelled smoke inside.

Mark Fretwell, landlord of the Corner House, said: "I't was a small electric fault that caused the fire. There were three fire engines there but it was just a small fire. We will reopen as normal tomorrow. We'd like to thank the fire service for their help."