Vets warning after dog suffers from 'poisoning' in Ashfield woodland

A Sutton Veterinary Practice has issued a warning after a dog was treated for poisoning after a woodland walk in Ashfield.

Friday, 7th December 2018, 8:38 am
Updated Friday, 7th December 2018, 9:40 am
Vets have issued a warning

Thompsons Veterinary Practice on Alfreton Road, Sutton, treated the Labrador and are now asking owners to be vigilant.

The dog had reportedly been on a walk in the Mill Lane area of Huthwaite.

A spokesman from the vets said: "The dog became ill after a woodland walk where various naturally growing fungi were present in the current mild, wet weather conditions.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Picture supplied by Thompsons Veterinary Practice

"Clinical signs can include vomiting, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, reduced temperature, increased heart rate, pupil dilation, diarrhoea, convulsions and collapse.

"If you have any concerns about your pet having been in contact with a poison please ring your veterinary surgery immediately.

"Note the time/location where it occurred and if possible take a sample of the suspected poison (using gloves) with your pet to your local practice."

The dog was first treated on December 4 and is reportedly now better.