Vet warning over parasite

A MANSFIELD vet is warning dog owners to be on the lookout for a potentially fatal disease which increases in spring.

The disease is caused by dogs becoming infected with the lungworm Angiostrongylus Vasorum if they have eaten slugs or snails which carry the parasite.

The hidden danger arises from small slugs and snails which can be accidentally swallowed when dogs are playing with toys left out in the garden, or rummaging through the undergrowth.

Jenny Henderson, veterinary surgeon for Mansfield Vets4Pets practice, said: “Symptons include breathing difficulties, ranging from a lack of energy to coughing.

“Dogs may also show weight loss, reduced appetite and vomiting and persistent bleeding, even from minor cuts is also a sign to watch out for.”