Third man jailed for Woodhouse hammer attack

editorial image

A THIRD man has been jailed for his part in a hammer attack at Mansfield Woodhouse which left a young dad with a fractured skull.

Dwane Chapman (24), of Park Avenue, Mansfield Woodhouse, was ordered to serve a two-year prison sentence at Nottingham Crown Court today (4th April).

He previously admitted grievous bodily harm following an attack on a 24-year-old man in Ley Lane.

Chapman was among a group of men who forced their way into the victim’s home and attacked him with a number of weapons.

He was left with serious, life-threatening injuries including a fractured skull following the attack on 1st May last year.

Chapman also previously admitted actual bodily harm after an incident the night before when two men, aged 24 and 27, were assaulted in a bar in Mansfield town centre.

He was sentenced to one year in prison for the GBH and one year in prison for the ABH, to run consecutively.

Three other Mansfield Woodhouse men are already serving prison sentences for their parts in the attacks.

Adam Groves (25), of Park Avenue, was given an indeterminate prison sentence, to serve a minimum of five years. Adam’s uncle Martin Groves (49), of Leas Road, was sentenced to nine years in prison for GBH.

And his brother Ashley Groves (25), of Park Avenue, was ordered to serve a two-year sentence for his part in an affray on Park Avenue and for ABH in relation to the assault in Mansfield town centre.

Det Insp Caroline Racher, who led the investigation into the assaults, said: “In one of these incidents, a man suffered life-threatening head injuries and was left to die after being attacked in his own home.

“This was a horrendous and cowardly assault and is one of the worst I have come across throughout my career with the police.

“The victim and his family have been incredibly brave throughout this ordeal, and I am glad for them and the public that Chapman and the others are behind bars where they won’t be able to harm anyone else.”