Thief posing as council worker stole jewellery from Warsop pensioner

editorial image

RESIDENTS are urged to not let strangers into their homes after two distraction burglaries in Warsop.

On Wednesday (6th February) a man, aged between 40 and 50, in blue overalls forced his way into a house in Friar Lane and asked to look at the bathroom and doors upstairs.

It is believed he claimed to be from the council, and asked the pensioner for £200 for the work and when she said she did not have any he left, driving away in a yellow lorry.

After the man left the victim realised jewellery had been stolen.

In another incident, offenders, who had been working at an elderly woman’s house in Burns Lane, asked to use her toilet and stole jewellery before leaving in a white Vauxhall Combo van with a red bonnet.

The offence took place on the afternoon of Saturday 26th January.

The victim let the men into her house to use the toilet, and while inside one man asked to check her bay window and the other took her into the garden to discuss more work.

Upon returning to the house the victim noticed that her handbag had been moved and the front door was open. The master bedroom had been searched and jewellery was taken. If you have any information call us on 101 quoting incident 692 of 26 January.

Councillor Mick Barton, who is Portfolio Holder for Public Protect at Mansfield District Council, said: “Residents should always ask for identification from unannounced visitors before letting them into their home. All of our staff, and people working on the council’s behalf, carry identification and if you have any doubts you can contact the District Council on 01623 463463.”

Detective Constable Jim Coleman said: “Remember – you are in control, if in doubt keep them out.”

“If you, a friend or a neighbour receives a visit from an uninvited caller that makes you suspicious, even if you haven’t let that person into your home, don’t just assume that it is an innocent call. Someone else nearby might become the next victim.”

To report a crime call police on 101.