Town leaders are hopeful that a supermarket chain will still be prepared to come to Warsop despite plans to close the existing Netto stores.
Parish councillors had welcomed plans by the Danish discount firm to open a store on the vacant site on Burns Lane, but the company recently announced plans to pull out of Britain, leaving the plans up in the air.
However, a planning application for a supermarket on the site is due before Mansfield District Council’s planning committee next week, and there are hopes that another company could step in if it is given the green light.
Warsop and Nottinghamshire councillor, John Allin said: “With the application going in, if Netto won’t be coming here then hopefully we can persuade another supermarket.
“Aldi has recently been turned down on Southwell Road in Mansfield, so if they want to come here then there is a site.”
Netto, a popular discount store in Britain in the 1990s, had opened 16 new stores across Britain as part of a joint venture with Sainsbury’s.
It’s aims were to compete wit the ever-expanding discount market led by Aldi and Lidl.
But earlier this month Sainsbury’s said the trial required rapid expansion and investment to compete, a decision which they have opted not to pursue.
Warsop Parish Council chairman, Andy Wetton, described the news about Netto as ‘frustrating’ but was hopeful that planning permission will still be granted.
Due for discussion at Monday’s night’s planning meeting, the application includes the full demolition of the old Strand cinema building.
Previous proposals had been to only part demolish the crumbling theatre, but parish councillors had called for the entire building to be pulled down, even launching a petition.
They said it would allow access from Church Street onto Burns Lane for where the supermarket could be built.
The old theatre was built in the 1930s, but closed as a cinema in 1961. It was then used as a bingo hall, but has stood vacant since 2011.