Supporters of a Catholic church in Warsop are appealing for stories and pictures charting its history as it plans an anniversary celebration.
A number of special events plus improvements to buildings are being arranged for St Teresa’s, Warsop, next year - 40 years on from when it was first built.
Artefacts supplied by parishioners are expected to form part of a display to take place in the church hall.
Since the 16th century there had been no permanent Catholic church in Warsop and services had been held in an infants’ school and even in the local pub!
Around 1955 a timber church was built on the present site on the corner of High Street and Clumber Street. This was replaced by the present church and parish hall.
Parish priest Father Jonathan Cotton said: “The church took a year to build and the first Catholic Mass to take place there was a significant event.
“As well as a main celebratory event, there will be a number of social and fund-raising events taking place throughout next year to mark the happy occasion of the anniversary. We hope that, not only the Catholic community, but people from other denominations and non will join us to celebrate.”
The main event, planned for 8th February, will be attended by Bishop of Nottingham Malcolm McMahon along with priests who have served there and other local dignatories.
The church was a parish in its own right for about 25 years but is now attached to St Joseph’s, Shirebrook and St Bernadette’s, Bolsover.